Lesson Help!!!

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

hlhendo

Lesson Help!!!

Unread post by hlhendo »

Good evening,
I have an interview later this week for a long term supply role. I haven't taught for over 5 years and struggling to come up with some exciting, practical fun ideas. its a half an hour Y1 math's lesson with the objective - to count in 2's, 5's and 10's to solve problems. Any ideas would be much appreciated to help get my brain back into teacher planning mode!

Thanks
milesedger

Re: Lesson Help!!!

Unread post by milesedger »

hlhendo wrote: 02 Jul 2023, 18:07 Good evening,
I have an interview later this week for a long term supply role. I haven't taught for over 5 years and struggling to come up with some exciting, practical fun ideas. its a half an hour Y1 math's lesson with the objective - to count in 2's, 5's and 10's to solve problems. Any ideas would be much appreciated to help get my brain back into teacher planning mode!

Thanks
I just newly joined English teacher after struggling too much! I advise you to believe in your self and be well prepaid.
ritabikker

Re: Lesson Help!!!

Unread post by ritabikker »

Good evening! Here are some ideas for a Y1 math lesson on counting within 2, 5 and 10:
Interactive counting: Start with a warm-up activity where students count in 2, 5 and 10 together as a class. Use physical movements such as clapping, jumping, or bouncing to make the activity fun.
Counting chains: Give each student a strip of paper or a chain link. Ask them to write numbers in the sequence of 2, 5, or 10 on their strips/chains and then connect them to create a long counting chain. Children can then use their chains to count together and solve problems.
Number line races: Draw a large number line on the floor or wall with numbers marked at intervals of 2, 5, or 10 units. Divide the class into teams and ask them to race against each other to place markers (e.g., post-its) on the correct numbers, counting to 2, 5, or 10.
Collection Counting: Give students a set of objects (e.g., chips, buttons, or cubes) and ask them to group them into sets to count to 2, 5, or 10. Encourage children to record their results using pictures or numbers.
Story-based math problems: Create story problems that involve counting in 2, 5, and 10. For example, "Sally has 10 apples. She gives 2 apples to each friend. How many friends did she give apples to?" Allow students to use manipulatives or pictures to help solve problems.
Math games: Introduce math games that reinforce counting within 2, 5, and 10, such as "Missing Number Bingo" or "Counting Race" where students roll dice and move along a game board, counting in increments.
Remember that exercises should be practical, interactive, and playful to engage children and make the learning process enjoyable. Good luck with your interview!