Lookings for options..

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Josef Essberger

Mwalter

Lookings for options..

Unread post by Mwalter »

I have been throwing the idea around of teaching overseas for awhile now. The internet has lead me to many dead ends, so hopefully the forum can be of some assistance. Many of the websites offer the TEFL courses in person or online, my main question is are they necessary?

A little about myself: I am a native English speaker, born and raised in America.
I have my Bachelor's degree in career and technical education, and I am a certified teacher in both New York and Pennsylvania. I've traveled through much of Europe as well as Algeria and the UAE. While in college a teacher offered to assist me in placement in a Korean school, to be honest I have no interest in teaching in Asia. I am open to placements in Europe, Africa, South America and the Middle East.

Is there summer positions available? I'm not concerned about the money situation if the position was a short term position, I'm just looking for some assistance with the accommodations. I would even be open to the idea of a full year contract depending on the location. I really love traveling and I figured this would be a good way to put my knowledge to some use during the summer months and have the time of my life. I'm even open to the idea of working at a hostel as a summer position.

Anyone have any advice? is the tefl certification necessary? is there summer positions? Any info would be a great help. Thanks everyone!
WyoToChina

Re: Lookings for options..

Unread post by WyoToChina »

It sounds to me like you meet the qualifications needed to teach overseas, it is just a matter of networking. I would maybe start by looking through a career department at the school you went to. Also, I had to sign a two year contract, but it seems like it may be kind of an unwritten rule that two means one...
justinruch

Re: Lookings for options..

Unread post by justinruch »

Yes..career departments of schools really help.