NON - NATIVE DOUBTS - PLEASE HELP ASAP - URGENT

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Josef Essberger

canary

NON - NATIVE DOUBTS - PLEASE HELP ASAP - URGENT

Unread post by canary »

Hello,

I am a non-native Asian woman with a high-functioning anxiety disorder.

I have been quite skeptical about opting in for a teaching job in Asia or Europe. I think I would be great with kids, however, the 'Are you a non-native?' question makes me wonder if I should even apply for jobs across.

I have been in fashion for the last 7 years but lately I did a handful of projects with Google, Expedia and Cvent wherein our clients were mainly from the US.

My father committed suicide last year and I am looking for an escape as well. Maybe just something that I would love to do this time. Imparting knowledge across would give me immense pleasure and the little travelling might even help.

I somehow, summoned courage to start the 120-hour TEFL course online.
  • 1. Do you think there is a little scope for someone with a Bachelor's degree and the considerable experience mentioned above :?:
  • 2. Have you ever come across a non-native English speaker who has been working online and offline both at the same time :?:
  • 3. Which online portal would you refer a non-native to :?:
  • 4. Do you think that I should get some teaching experience before I apply to one :?:

It would be a great help if someone can answer the questions for me.

Thank you in advance and have a blessed day! :mrgreen:
odyssey
Rising Star

Re: NON - NATIVE DOUBTS - PLEASE HELP ASAP - URGENT

Unread post by odyssey »

canary wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 01:49 Hello,

I am a non-native Asian woman with a high-functioning anxiety disorder.

I have been quite skeptical about opting in for a teaching job in Asia or Europe. I think I would be great with kids, however, the 'Are you a non-native?' question makes me wonder if I should even apply for jobs across.

I have been in fashion for the last 7 years but lately I did a handful of projects with Google, Expedia and Cvent wherein our clients were mainly from the US.

My father committed suicide last year and I am looking for an escape as well. Maybe just something that I would love to do this time. Imparting knowledge across would give me immense pleasure and the little travelling might even help.

I somehow, summoned courage to start the 120-hour TEFL course online.
  • 1. Do you think there is a little scope for someone with a Bachelor's degree and the considerable experience mentioned above :?:
  • 2. Have you ever come across a non-native English speaker who has been working online and offline both at the same time :?:
  • 3. Which online portal would you refer a non-native to :?:
  • 4. Do you think that I should get some teaching experience before I apply to one :?:

It would be a great help if someone can answer the questions for me.

Thank you in advance and have a blessed day! :mrgreen:
1. I would think so :D
2. Lots of teachers work online and offline; and I don't think being non-native is relevant.
3. Please see below.
4. What might be more useful than teaching experience would be a TEFL course, which is often a requirement for any job (even more than a degree).

This TEFL.net page Teach English Online – Introduction should be helpful, and it has links to other online teaching resources.

There's a list of TEFL Courses here.

Good luck with whatever you decide ;)
canary

Re: NON - NATIVE DOUBTS - PLEASE HELP ASAP - URGENT

Unread post by canary »

Thank you so much. You have just given me hope. :)