age discrimination in TEFL in 2024

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

tenneray
Rising Star

age discrimination in TEFL in 2024

Unread post by tenneray »

Are there any countries where age discrimination is not a big problem? I am a 60-year-old who is teaching in the US but I miss overseas work. Most of my prior experience was in Saudi Arabia, but it doesn't hire teachers over 55, and I wouldn't want to go back there anyway. I'd want a good package and be able to save.
Thanks in advance for your thoughtful responses.
robertflores

Re: age discrimonation in TEFL in 2024

Unread post by robertflores »

Yes, there are Canada, Chile, Colombia, Spain, and Australia.
eggshell

Unread post by eggshell »

A few countries that tend to be more age-friendly for TEFL are Western Europe and Latin America. Places like Spain and Italy generally don't have strict age limits. Chile and Colombia are also good options in Latin America - they value experience over age.

You may find public schools have limits but plenty of language academies would appreciate your skills. Eastern Europe could also work - the pay may be lower but the cost of living is as well.
Eforst1986

Unread post by Eforst1986 »

Soccer Skills World Cup
tenneray wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 17:28 Are there any countries where age discrimination is not a big problem? I am a 60-year-old who is teaching in the US but I miss overseas work. Most of my prior experience was in Saudi Arabia, but it doesn't hire teachers over 55, and I wouldn't want to go back there anyway. I'd want a good package and be able to save.
Other countries that are known for their inclusive work environments and favorable policies towards older workers include Norway, Iceland, and Finland. These countries have implemented measures to support older individuals in the workforce, such as flexible retirement options, age-friendly workplaces, and initiatives to promote lifelong learning and skills development.
sunflower12

Unread post by sunflower12 »

Hey there! Age discrimination can vary by country, but some nations prioritize skills over age in hiring practices. Have you considered exploring teaching opportunities in countries like Japan, South Korea, or Singapore, known for valuing experienced educators and offering competitive packages?
Wendy1969
Rising Star

Unread post by Wendy1969 »

Age should be irrelevant. As long as one is still young at heart, has the relevant English skills and is still healthy and energetic; and wish to still continue to have an active role in TEFL, one should continue to seek out full time or part time teaching opportunities with likeminded, professional TEFL related organisations. One should also be able to continue to be part of our worldwide TEFL community/social groups/TEFL/English related activities, even if one has retired from teaching English.
mariahcarey

Unread post by mariahcarey »

China has a high demand for English teachers and a diverse range of teaching opportunities, including positions at public schools, private language institutes, and international schools. Age discrimination laws are in place, and many schools value experience and expertise over age. You can try.wordle
Bethel86

Unread post by Bethel86 »

Several countries known for being more age-friendly for TEFL include Western Europe and Latin America. Countries like Spain and Italy typically don't impose strict age limits. In Latin America, Chile and Colombia are also favorable options as they prioritize experience over age. While public schools may have age restrictions, many language academies would value your skills. Eastern Europe could also be a viable option, although the pay might be lower, the cost of living is generally lower as well.
Wendy1969
Rising Star

Unread post by Wendy1969 »

Bethel86 wrote: 13 Apr 2024, 15:50 Several countries known for being more age-friendly for TEFL include Western Europe and Latin America. Countries like Spain and Italy typically don't impose strict age limits. In Latin America, Chile and Colombia are also favorable options as they prioritize experience over age. While public schools may have age restrictions, many language academies would value your skills. Eastern Europe could also be a viable option, although the pay might be lower, the cost of living is generally lower as well.
There is definitely less discrimination against older people in most Western countries with still very strong Western culture.
manysax

Unread post by manysax »

tenneray wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 17:28 Are there any countries where age discrimination is not a big problem? I am a 60-year-old who is teaching in the US but I miss overseas work. Most of my prior experience was in Saudi Arabia, but it doesn't hire teachers over 55, and I wouldn't want to go back there anyway. I'd want a good package and be able to save.
It really depends on the school, but I've noticed that older teachers are respected more in the Middle East than in Western Europe.
BillyH
Rising Star

Unread post by BillyH »

Kids these days and their TEFL, am I right? Back in my day, we didn't have fancy certificates and international travel opportunities handed to us on a silver platter! But I digress...

Ah, age discrimination, the thorn in the side of seasoned educators everywhere. Fear not, my fellow experienced traveler, for there are indeed countries where age is but a number, and your wealth of wisdom is celebrated rather than cast aside like yesterday's homework.

The Land of Eternal Spring: Picture yourself in the rolling hills of Italy, where age is revered like a fine wine and teaching opportunities abound. With its rich history, delectable cuisine, and picturesque landscapes, Italy welcomes educators of all ages with open arms. Plus, who can resist the siren call of gelato and pasta at every turn?
The Island Paradise: Dream of sandy beaches and azure waters? Look no further than the tropical haven of Thailand, where age discrimination takes a backseat to warm smiles and hospitality. With its vibrant culture, bustling markets, and serene temples, Thailand offers a haven for teachers seeking adventure and fulfillment, regardless of age.
The Land Down Under: Ah, Australia, where kangaroos roam free and opportunities for seasoned educators abound. With its diverse landscapes, cosmopolitan cities, and laid-back lifestyle, Australia offers a welcoming environment for teachers of all ages to thrive and make a difference in the lives of students.
manysax

Unread post by manysax »

It really depends on the school, but I've noticed that older teachers are respected more in the Middle East than in Western Europe.