Remote TEFL Jobs

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

AT2023

Remote TEFL Jobs

Unread post by AT2023 »

Hi everyone,

I've recently been made redundant and and am thinking of doing a 120 hour TEFL course to give me some flexible working options.

Would be great to hear feedback on how easy it is to find such work and likely pay.

I'm a native English speaker and brand new to teaching. My experience is mostly in corporate business development. I'm happy to get up at stupid hours if necessary.

Thanks in advance.
odyssey
Rising Star

Re: Remote TEFL Jobs

Unread post by odyssey »

Definitely doable, as many others will attest. It might help if you gave a touch more detail, like where you are and/or where you want to teach. Your subject title says "Remote". Does that mean you only want online work?

You could potentially (eventually) leverage a business background teaching Business English, which tends to pay better.

To start I'd suggest looking at:

https://www.tefl.net/what-is-tefl/

https://www.tefl.net/tefl-guide/
AT2023

Unread post by AT2023 »

Thanks for the reply.

I’m London based and predominantly after online work but could do in person. Flexibility is the key though, I’d like to be able to pick my hours in true self employed fashion.

My initial research tells me I should get anywhere between £20-£40ph. Is that about right?
odyssey
Rising Star

Unread post by odyssey »

One way of getting online work is through some of the online agencies (forget their names but you can google them) BUT you won't get anything like your target rates through them. Best way for those rates would be to find your own "clients" (clients should pay better than students, right?) but that would take time and depend on your own initiative. But then that's freelance and what you want by the sound of it.

And definitely looking for business English learners would pay better.

For remote work it really doesn't matter where you are, worldwide. So the world is your oyster. I would think it's not going to be easy to find face to face work in London through schools, but again you might find your own private clients for face to face. You have to think where is the clientele? In the UK the English learners are either foreign students doing homestay through established schools (staying 2 weeks, say, or up to 6 months) OR immigrants wanting to establish or brush up on their English. When you look abroad, the picture is reversed.

Here's another post that could help. It's got the names of agencies at the end I think (but they don't pay much):
https://www.tefl.net/elt/articles/onlin ... sh-online/

Hope that helps. Only my two pence worth. Others may see it differently...