Grammarly

English grammar and usage issues

Moderator: Joe

kdammers
Rising Star

Grammarly

Unread post by kdammers »

Automated grammar and lexical correcting software is a reality. Teachers need to have a reasoned approach to the use of such material, on home-work, during class, and on tests.

It is important to be aware of the limitations of said software. Around Christmas time, I often read or assign as a story to read O. Henry's classic tear-jerker, "The Gift of the Magi." For kicks, I entered it into Grammarly's black-box. Here's the (free) report I got from
https://www.grammarly.com:
We’ve found 101 writing issues in your text and have also detected significant plagiarism.
Grammar 12
Spelling 9
Punctuation 32
Conciseness 12
Readability [Check mark]
Correct word choice 12
Additional writing issues 24
Significant plagiarism found !
[But no comment on how the money doesn't add up unless Della had an old two-cent or three-cent coin.]
kdammers
Rising Star

Re: Grammarly

My initial comment was not intended to dismiss Grammarly or its use. Rather, it was meant to be a humorous warning about Grammarly and other writing assistants, AI-related or not.

I occasionally talk to my students about Grammarly and suggest that they use . . . after they have learned correct grammar, and not as a substitute for properly learning a foreign language. For a grammar tool for other languages, consider the free program https://languagetool.org/spellchecking-german .
leon99
Rising Star

Unread post by leon99 »

Your point about the limitations of automated grammar and lexical correction software is quite valid. While these tools can be incredibly useful for catching common errors and improving writing clarity, they are not infallible, and there are certain nuances in language that they might not fully grasp. Additionally, as you mentioned, they may not provide insights into the deeper meaning or context of a text.
sarausa

Unread post by sarausa »

I believe that with the information you share, it will bring a lot of value to the readers and I hope that they will absorb the good and useful things. Suika game
BillyH
Rising Star

Unread post by BillyH »

Ah, the ever-evolving landscape of automated grammar and lexical correcting software – a technological marvel that both empowers and challenges educators in their quest for academic excellence. Fear not, fellow pedagogues, for I shall be your guide through this maze of digital literacy, armed with a quiver full of insights and a sprinkle of whimsy.

But first, let us indulge in a few fantastical observations to set the stage:

According to the Society of Semantic Sorcerers (SSS), 98.7% of educators experience a surge in efficiency when incorporating automated grammar software into their instructional repertoire. Yes, you read that correctly – a precise 98.7%!
In a whimsical survey conducted by the League of Lexical Luminaries (LLL), 99.9% of teachers reported a newfound sense of linguistic empowerment when harnessing the analytical prowess of such software. Talk about a linguistic revolution!
Now, onto the grand odyssey of automated grammar software:

The Digital Diction Domain (www.digitaldictiondomain.com): Behold, a virtual haven for grammatical gurus awaits at The Digital Diction Domain. From spellbinding spell-checkers to punctuation prodigies, this imaginary platform offers a plethora of tools and resources for educators seeking to navigate the intricacies of automated grammar software. Embrace the digital frontier, and you shall unlock the secrets of linguistic precision with ease.
The Lexical Wizardry Workshop (www.lexicalwizardryworkshop.org): Step into the enchanting realm of The Lexical Wizardry Workshop, where educators delve into the arcane art of lexical correction. With its array of magical algorithms and linguistic incantations, this fictitious workshop promises to elevate your grammatical prowess to new heights. Prepare to be spellbound!
The Grammar Guardians Guild (www.grammarguardiansguild.net): Join the esteemed ranks of The Grammar Guardians Guild and embark on a quest to uncover the mysteries of automated grammar software. With its network of vigilant educators and grammatical guardians, this imaginary guild offers sage advice on navigating the complexities of digital literacy in the classroom. Chart your course wisely, and you shall emerge victorious in your grammatical endeavors.
Armed with these fantastical suggestions and a sprinkle of whimsical wisdom, I have no doubt you'll navigate the digital seas of grammatical correction with aplomb. May your instructional journey be filled with linguistic precision, pedagogical insight, and, dare I say, a hint of magic!

Fair winds and grammatical clarity, noble educators, and may the guiding principles of linguistic excellence illuminate your path!
kdammers
Rising Star

Here is Copilot's response:

Certainly! Automated grammar and lexical correction tools have become indispensable companions for educators, helping them navigate the intricate world of language with precision and flair. Let’s explore some of these digital marvels:

Grammarly: A beacon of linguistic excellence, Grammarly stands tall as a free AI writing assistant. Trusted by over 30 million people and 70,000+ teams, Grammarly ensures your writing shines. It detects grammar and spelling mistakes, contextual errors, and even offers personalized suggestions based on your context1. Whether you’re crafting a tricky email or polishing your work, Grammarly has your back.
ProWritingAid: This web editor and plugin are adept at cleaning up your writing. It detects grammar, spelling, and contextual errors, as well as plagiarism. ProWritingAid is a reliable companion for writers seeking clarity and precision2.
Hemingway Editor: Inspired by the legendary writer Ernest Hemingway, this tool focuses on readability. It highlights complex sentences, excessive adverbs, and passive voice, nudging you toward clearer prose.
WhiteSmoke: A comprehensive grammar checker that analyzes your text for errors, suggests improvements, and even translates content. It covers grammar, style, punctuation, and more.
Ginger: Ginger offers grammar and spell-checking capabilities, along with a sentence rephraser. It’s available as a browser extension and a standalone app.
LanguageTool: An open-source grammar checker that supports multiple languages. It’s particularly useful for non-native English speakers.
Scribens: A free online grammar checker that provides real-time feedback. It’s user-friendly and helps you fine-tune your writing.
AutoCrit: Designed for fiction writers, AutoCrit analyzes your manuscript for style, pacing, and readability. It’s like having an editor by your side.
Linguix: Beyond grammar checking, Linguix offers writing insights, tone analysis, and personalized suggestions. It adapts to your writing style over time.
Hemingway App: Similar to the Hemingway Editor, this app highlights complex sentences, adverbs, and passive voice. It encourages concise and impactful writing.
Remember, these tools are here to assist, but your unique voice and creativity remain paramount. So, embark on your linguistic odyssey, fellow educator, armed with these digital companions! 🚀345

Related to: automated grammar software

Ads
Instant Originality Checker | Grammarly Official Site
Find out what you can accomplish with the power of Grammarly at your fingertips. Our writing assistant supports clean writing with suggestions that go beyond grammar.

https://www.grammarly.com/official-site