Job by No Nonsense TEFL Jobs

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Josef Essberger

Kate_HE

Job by No Nonsense TEFL Jobs

Unread post by Kate_HE »

Hello

I'm new here :) I'm also very inexperienced when it comes to scams and generally I think most things are a scam!

Just looking for some advice. I am looking for a teaching job in Asia, preferably China. I sent my CV and a covering letter for a job with the website nononsensetefljobs.com

Now I can't find any reviews of the place and was wondering whether it is legit or not. They sent me the job details:
It is a 12month contract
The monthly pay is 10,000 - 12,000
Class size -14 students
age range is weird - 2 -adult.
Teaching hours are 15-20 per week. with 5 -10 office hours.
Housing is not provided but there is an allowance of 1000 per month.
No paid sick leave
22 days off holiday.
It is situated in Kunshan which is near Shanghai.

And from the photos it is Shane English School. I have heard very negative things about Shane Schools.

Hummm. I'm not sure this is legit. Would anyone take it?
Advice needed.
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: Job by No Nonsense TEFL Jobs

Unread post by John V55 »

Hi Kate
I’ve emailed you some information.
12 month contract is a standard contract across the board
Monthly pay is good
Class size is excellent
Age range is everyone, because it’s a private setup
Teaching hours are normal
You won’t be getting western style housing for 1k ¥. The top up will come out of your salary and include aminities, internet connection and probably basic furniture.
No paid sick leave means they don’t pay insurance. Deduct from your salary.
22 days holiday (paid?) is low compared to a government school.
They also don’t pay your air fare? Food?
Deduct the air fare, amenities, medical insurance, food and (higher rate) tax off your salary and you’re probably on around 7 to 8k a month.
Personal political satire blog: https://johnvasiateacherblog.forumotion.com
Info NNTJ

Re: Job by No Nonsense TEFL Jobs

Unread post by Info NNTJ »

Hi Kate and John

Firstly, thank you John for the detailed explanation regarding the position.

With regards to Kate’s concerns, the position is not a scam.

It should be noted that many schools, especially language centres, in China are franchises. This unfortunately results in some teachers having bad experiences in certain centres, but it is unfair to apply these negative comments to all centres linked with any specific school.

In addition to that, we have also found some centres are unable to clearly convey their employment package and information about the school to the candidate, (sometimes lost in translation) which can lead to false expectations, and later disappointment.

This is why we, No Nonsense Tefl jobs! (NNTJ), ask all the schools we cooperate with to meet our independent requirements. Our Chinese staff may also visit the schools’ sites and we recommend all our candidates speak to TEFL teachers who are currently employed at the schools (which we can arrange for you). This enables candidates to gain a more genuine impression about what the school provides and what is expected of the teacher by the school.

We also request that all the schools we work with fill in our standardised information pack, which provides lots of information and pictures about the school to our candidates.

The contract however, is signed between the teacher and the school directly, so the final responsibility on whether or not to accept a position at a school is on the teacher.

We hope this helps you with your concerns and appreciate that finding a job abroad for the first time can be a daunting process, which requires a lot of research.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions about any of our advertised teaching positions.

Thanks and regards

Tim