Are the 20 hour and 100 hour TEFL certificates the same?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

cphil19

Are the 20 hour and 100 hour TEFL certificates the same?

Unread post by cphil19 »

I'm just trying to weigh all my options right now. In December I will be graduating with a double major in both English and Comm. Studies. I would like to obtain a TEFL certificate as well but there are just so many options out there. I've seen 20 hour, 40 hour, 70 hour, 100 hour, 120 hour, etc. So basically, I would just like to know if I would receive the same TEFL certificate whether I take a 20 hour weekender course or a 120 hour online course. Are there any differences? Do they put the number of hours on the actual certificate? Or, are all the certificates exactly the same?

Thanks
Triton

Re: Are the 20 hour and 100 hour TEFL certificates the same?

Unread post by Triton »

They are obviously not the same. If we compare online courses with face to face courses the latter are better because they provide teaching experience which the former can not do.

Now as for how employers view these, it varies depending on local circumstances. In desperate situations they will take on any native speaker that's willing to teach. In less desperate situations they will take on any native speaker with a university degree in any subject. Where there are many teachers competing for TEFL jobs they will demand a TEFL qualification such as CELTA.

Then obviously the more hours you have done the better it is and teaching experience gained during a face to face course adds more weight. In a competitive environment it is an advantage.

The certificate usually states the hours done. I know the IH one also states the hours attended out of the total course hours. Eg "Attended 115 out of 120 hours"
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Are the 20 hour and 100 hour TEFL certificates the same?

Unread post by systematic »

Programs range from short weekend 'teasers' and online courses, to 120 hours courses with observed teaching practice. The better the course is, the more it will impress a future employer, but when you have read all the facts on these forums on this hotly discussed subject, you will be able to make the best decision to suit your own situation.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.