working in state schools in spain

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Josef Essberger

SunShine
Rising Star

Re: working in state schools in spain

Unread post by SunShine »

I was told on my course that in order to teach in Spanish state schools, you need to be fluent in Spanish.
SunShine
Rising Star

Valenciano, uh! :cry: :lol: I have a place in the same region, that accent is unlearnable. Instead of saying Alicante, it is Alicanx, or something similar. They seem to add an "X" to everything. And all the announcements at the airport are in Valenciano first. :mrgreen:
SunShine
Rising Star

I think that the Valencian region is known for having problems for English expats. They also have a landgrab law whereby they can repossess your property that you bought legally, claiming that it is built illegally. They are a law onto themselves.
SunShine
Rising Star

OK, explain this to me then: the landgrab does not exist in other areas, or so I have been told. I love my place near Alicante but don't understand the hostility by the authorities. We expats have now been denied our right to free health care, unless we pay the unfair 250€ pcm fee, regardless whether we work or not. I have no problem paying it if I have a job but if I just live there and haven't got one, then I do mind. After all, I am spending my hard earned euros in Mercadona, Carrefore, etc, to benefit the local economy and am getting b****r all for it.