How hard is to get a TEFL job and to teach EFL???

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

EdithBratt

How hard is to get a TEFL job and to teach EFL???

Unread post by EdithBratt »

Firslty, a bit about myself. I am from the UK and I'm 22 years of age. I am currently studying for an MA in Economics from York Uni after I graduated from the same uni this year with a BA.

I first became aware of teaching english abroad as a career option around 6 months ago and since then I have been doing a lot of research into it, and also spent a lot of time thinking about how amazing it would be! However, I haven't really found answers to the following questions:

1. How hard is it to get a tefl job with zero experience? I am hoping to take the 4 week CELTA course in the summer of 2013 so I should have a highly recognised qualification. From there how should I best proceed to find a TEFL job? Ideally I would like to go to Spain or South/Central America as I have some spanish and think it would be great to both teach english and improve me language skills at the same time! I have seen plenty of jobs advertised on various websites, but I have no idea of the level of competition or even if these jobs are legit?

2. How hard is the actual experience of teaching? How did you feel on your first day?

The reason I ask this is because I have a job offer to work in the City starting in September 2013, and I dont want to give it up if im not going to get a job. I wouldnt mind working for free for a few months if it meant I could get future employment. I would be really grateful for any help people on this forum can give and it would be great to hear some other peoples experience. Im also aware this question has probably been asked before so im sorry if I have broken some kind of house rule.

Thanks
kdammers
Rising Star

Re: How hard is to get a TEFL job and to teach EFL???

Unread post by kdammers »

With your skills in time-travelling, you should be able to do just about anything. ;)
jmczzz

Unread post by jmczzz »

i started looking in June 1997 still here. and "still haven't found what i 'm looking for".
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

A few questions – pre-match nerves and rightly so. If you’re about to get a good job in ‘the city’, go for the city job. TEFL is not career and the excitement soon wears off. It’s hard work and those who really want teaching as a career choose the PGCE route.

I wouldn’t concentrate too much on qualifications as where you’ll end up no one probably gives a toss whether you have a TEFL cert’ or CELTA. What they will care about is what experience you have. Get some. Take a year out and teach your way through an extended holiday in the East or S. America. I taught in Inner Mongolia for several years and loved it.

No download, scroll down to read.
https://www.academia.edu/16438508/TEFL_ ... r_Mongolia
Personal political satire blog: https://johnvasiateacherblog.forumotion.com
TheNightBeak
Rising Star

Unread post by TheNightBeak »

John V55 wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 22:00 I wouldn’t concentrate too much on qualifications as where you’ll end up no one probably gives a toss whether you have a TEFL cert’ or CELTA.
Take no notice of him, Edith.

If you're looking for teaching work in Spain then a CELTA cert (or equivalent) is a basic requirement. TEFL has been a big thing in Spain for decades and even small towns have their own English-language schools, so it shouldn't be so difficult to find something. But you might have to accept relatively low wages, and a contract that includes teaching kids and teens, at least initially.

Good luck!
John V55
Top Contributor

Edith, unfortunately the Internet is full of anonymous people giving advice. Some are of the wannabe astronaut type, some will try to sell you something and yet others are simply clueless frauds. There are no end of websites touting DELTA, TESOL, CELTA and all are trying to convince you that they’re a must-have. They’re not. You already have a degree and with a TEFL certificate (not an online one), what you then lack is experience, not a pile of expensive and needless certificates.

https://www.expatica.com/es/working/fin ... in-716889/
‘The main requirements to teach English in Spain are:
A recognized teaching certificate: TEFL (Teach English as a Foreign Language), CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) and TESOL (Teach English to Speakers of Other Languages) are the main certificates.’

Anyone who has experience of TEFL teaching would already know this. If your heart is set on it go in at the beginner level, or get some teaching experience first as a volunteer. A CELTA is just an unnecessary certificate and not an obligatory one to teach in Spain, or anywhere else.
TheNightBeak
Rising Star

Unread post by TheNightBeak »

At the very least you need a 120-hour TEFL certificate with a practical component to teach anywhere in Europe. That's the way it is in 2020.
John V55
Top Contributor

TheNightBeak wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 20:52 At the very least you need a 120-hour TEFL certificate with a practical component to teach anywhere in Europe. That's the way it is in 2020.
The op wasn't intending to teach in Europe! :roll: I just shake my head :lol:
Anorch

Unread post by Anorch »

That somewhat depends on a few factors, but in general yes, it is quite easy to become an EFL teacher with the qualifications you have. Are you a native English speaker with a degree from a university in an English speaking country? That is usually a requirement from schools, particularly schools in Asia.
Gothich

Unread post by Gothich »

That somewhat depends on a few factors, but in general yes, it is quite easy to become as EFL teacher with the qualifications you have. Are you a native English speaker with a degree from a university in an English speaking country? That is usually a requirement from schools, particularly schools in Asia.
Wendy1969
Rising Star

Unread post by Wendy1969 »

Anorch wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 06:53 That somewhat depends on a few factors, but in general yes, it is quite easy to become an EFL teacher with the qualifications you have. Are you a native English speaker with a degree from a university in an English speaking country? That is usually a requirement from schools, particularly schools in Asia.
It depends on which part of Asia. Some places have higher standards. One can only see a few native English teachers in some parts of Asia.

I am considered a TEFL qualified non-native English teacher even though English language has almost became almost like a native language to me. I have continuously immersed myself in English language since the age of six years old but I have not acquired any native English accent yet. English language has became the most important language in my life even though it was not originally my native language.

I went into TEFL in 2016 with very high expectations.
I completed my theoretical and practical part of my Trinity TESOL certification successfully in 2016.
I went on to complete another similar level 5 TEFL related certification - Diploma in TEFL from The TEFL Academy - but with a higher level of difficulty in certain teaching assignments.

I have assisted and taught in quite a few kindergartens/daycares/language schools/learning centres in some unmentionable part of Asia and they have only non-native English teachers with questionable qualifications. And they never asked for my TEFL certifications!

I hope to continue my journey in a more conducive and professional TEFL environment where a high standard is maintained and English language is really appreciated and regarded highly.
Beiroot96

Unread post by Beiroot96 »

Getting a TEFL job and teaching EFL can vary in difficulty depending on factors like qualifications, experience, and location. Generally, having a TEFL certification, relevant experience, and a bachelor's degree can improve your prospects. Researching job markets and networking can also enhance job search success in the field of teaching English as a foreign language.
Anorch

Unread post by Anorch »

That somewhat depends on a few factors, but in general yes, it is quite easy to become an EFL teacher with the qualifications you have. Are you a native English speaker with a degree from a university in an English speaking country? That is usually a requirement from schools, particularly schools in Asia.
mybalancenow visa
Gothich

Unread post by Gothich »

That somewhat depends on a few factors, but in general yes, it is quite easy to become as EFL teacher with the qualifications you have. Are you a native English speaker with a degree from a university in an English speaking country? That is usually a requirement from schools, particularly schools in Asia.
dgcustomerfirst com survey
BillyH
Rising Star

Unread post by BillyH »

It's pretty easy, and it's a very rewarding career path.
Bethel86

Unread post by Bethel86 »

John V55 wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 22:00 A few questions – pre-match nerves and rightly so. If you’re about to get a good job in ‘the city’, go for the city job. TEFL is not career and the excitement soon wears off. It’s hard work and those who really want teaching as a career choose the PGCE route.

I wouldn’t concentrate too much on qualifications as where you’ll end up no one probably gives a toss whether you have a TEFL cert’ or CELTA. What they will care about is what experience you have. Get some. Take a year out and teach your way through an extended holiday in the East or S. America. I taught in Inner Mongolia for several years and loved it.

No download, scroll down to read.
https://www.academia.edu/16438508/TEFL_ ... _Mongolia/web
That somewhat depends on a few factors, but generally speaking, yes, it is quite easy to become an EFL teacher with the qualifications you have. Are you a native English speaker with a degree from a university in an English-speaking country? That's typically a requirement for schools, especially those in Asia.