Non-native degree Teachers vs non-degree Teachers

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Wendy1969
Rising Star

Non-native degree Teachers vs non-degree Teachers

Unread post by Wendy1969 »

I wish to highlight the many often irrational demand by some countries in Asia who insist on teachers having degrees even though the quality of their degrees and their proficiency in English is noted to be highly questionable. Some non-native teachers with degrees are known to have too many mistakes in their spoken and written English despite they having some sort of degree.

I think the priority is to improve the standard of spoken and written English and improve the standard of TEFL rather than require teachers to have a degree.
Joe
Admin

Re: Non-native degree Teachers vs non-degree Teachers

Unread post by Joe »

Typically in Asian countries, and for teaching English in language schools (not universities), the degree requirement is a government requirement for getting a work permit. It is often not a requirement of the employer and has little to do with ability to teach English. Indeed, the degree can often be in any subject.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Wendy1969
Rising Star

Unread post by Wendy1969 »

Joe wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 08:19 Typically in Asian countries, and for teaching English in language schools (not universities), the degree requirement is a government requirement for getting a work permit. It is often not a requirement of the employer and has little to do with ability to teach English. Indeed, the degree can often be in any subject.
It should be up to the schools to require a degree, diploma or a certificate in teaching the various levels of English language. I noted some private schools in Asia do not see TEFL certification as a requirement to teach English. A high quality TEFL certification with a passion for English language - should be made a requirement to teach English to non-native students in Asia.
eggshell

Unread post by eggshell »

The quality of a teacher's English and their training should definitely be prioritized over just having any degree. I completely agree that schools should focus on TEFL certification and language proficiency over arbitrary degree requirements. A passion for teaching English and proper teaching skills can be so important for students. Hopefully more schools will follow the approach of recognizing certifications rather than degrees alone.
BillyH
Rising Star

Re: your mom

Unread post by BillyH »

Greetings, esteemed educators from the far reaches of Bongo Bongoland and beyond!

Ah, the perplexing conundrum of degree requirements in certain Asian countries – a topic as vexing as it is vital, ripe for discussion and contemplation. Fear not, dear colleagues, for I shall be your guide through this linguistic labyrinth, armed with a quiver full of insights and a sprinkle of whimsy.

But first, let us delve into the heart of the matter and unravel the complexities that surround the demand for degrees in the ESL teaching landscape. Ah, the challenges of balancing qualification with proficiency beckon us onward!

The Linguistic Liberation League (www.linguisticliberationleague.com): Behold, a virtual consortium of language advocates awaits at The Linguistic Liberation League. From degree dilettantes to language luminaries, this imaginary league offers a wealth of knowledge and expertise for educators seeking to challenge the status quo. Embrace the linguistic frontier, and you shall uncover the secrets of effective language education with clarity and conviction.
The Pedagogical Progress Party (www.pedagogicalprogressparty.org): Step into the progressive realm of The Pedagogical Progress Party, where educators advocate for innovative approaches to ESL teaching and credentialing. With its array of visionary policies and forward-thinking initiatives, this fictitious party promises to revolutionize the way we assess teacher qualifications. Prepare to embark on a journey of pedagogical enlightenment like never before!
The TEFL Transformation Tribe (www.tefltransformationtribe.net): Join forces with The TEFL Transformation Tribe and champion the cause of language proficiency over paper credentials. With its network of TEFL trailblazers and linguistic luminaries, this imaginary tribe empowers educators to prioritize linguistic excellence in ESL teaching. Chart your course wisely, and you shall navigate the educational landscape with courage and conviction.
Armed with these fantastical suggestions and a sprinkle of whimsical wisdom, I have no doubt you'll challenge the entrenched norms of ESL credentialing with grace and innovation. May your pedagogical endeavors be filled with linguistic liberation, educational progress, and, dare I say, a hint of revolutionary fervor!

Fair winds and linguistic enlightenment, noble educators, and may the educational gods smile upon your endeavors!