Free Books and Curriculum!!! (From a Student)

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

surabhik

Free Books and Curriculum!!! (From a Student)

Unread post by surabhik »

Hello everyone! My name is Surabhi Khanna, and I am a senior in high school in California. I have had a club at school for the past two years called Coloring Books, where we read short stories written by people of color to make up for the lack of diverse literature being taught in my school. I have always been interested in diversifying the school curriculum, and recently, I have convinced a teacher to teach “The House on Mango Street” by Sandra Cisneros at my school, as the book is approved in the my school district's supplemental literature list. I am also working with another teacher from a private school to create a curriculum for Cisneros’ novel that he will teach to his eighth grade class in the fall. However, I want to make this even bigger, and try my best to make a difference in multiple schools. But, I need help to do that, specifically finding English teachers who will be able to teach this book. (Even if it is not this book that you want to teach, and have a different book by another author of color/different perspective in mind, I would love to help you make that a reality)! Of course, I know that the biggest issue is creating a new unit for teaching a new book, but I am fully prepared to help these teachers as much as possible to come up with a curriculum to teach this book. (And, I already have experience developing a curriculum for this book, as I am doing so in two other schools!) And if it is not possible to do this year, I would love to help you make a curriculum to teach in future years! Additionally, I am fundraising on my own to purchase copies of these books to donate to school libraries, so that is also not an issue. Even if you don't live in California, I can ship you copies of these books to your location! I am extremely dedicated to making this passion of mine succeed, and I will work as extremely hard and help you in all ways that I can. If you have any questions, please send me a private message or reply to this topic, and we can exchange emails and talk about this further. Thank you so much for your time!
odyssey
Rising Star

Re: Free Books and Curriculum!!! (From a Student)

Unread post by odyssey »

Here's a tip when writing in English:

Learn how to use paragraphs! :)
leon99
Rising Star

Unread post by leon99 »

You are doing a good job
WalterWaltt

Unread post by WalterWaltt »

surabhik wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 04:31 Hello everyone! My name is Surabhi Khanna, and I am a senior in high school in California. I have had a club at school for the past two years called Coloring Books, where we read short stories written by people of color to make up for the lack of diverse literature being taught in my school. I have always been interested in diversifying the school curriculum, and recently, I have convinced a teacher to teach “The House on Mango Street” by Sandra Cisneros at my school, as the book is approved in the my school district's supplemental literature list. I am also working with another teacher from a private school to create a curriculum for Cisneros’ novel that he will teach to his eighth grade class in the fall. However, I want to make this even bigger, and try my best to make a difference in multiple schools. But, I need help to do that, specifically finding English teachers who will be able to teach this book. (Even if it is not this book that you want to teach, and have a different book by another author of color/different perspective in mind, I would love to help you make that a reality)! Of course, I know that the biggest issue is creating a new unit for teaching a new book, but I am fully prepared to help these teachers as much as possible to come up with a curriculum to teach this book. I'm sure many teachers and schools would welcome your help and resources to incorporate new books into their curriculum. Just act and do what you know how. For example, at school I only did pay for homework, I found https://ca.edubirdie.com/pay-for-homework for this. Curriculum development is something new for me. The initiative is good, I support it. The situation in schools definitely needs to change. Something incomprehensible is happening in the training plans. (And, I already have experience developing a curriculum for this book, as I am doing so in two other schools!) And if it is not possible to do this year, I would love to help you make a curriculum to teach in future years! Additionally, I am fundraising on my own to purchase copies of these books to donate to school libraries, so that is also not an issue. Even if you don't live in California, I can ship you copies of these books to your location! I am extremely dedicated to making this passion of mine succeed, and I will work as extremely hard and help you in all ways that I can. If you have any questions, please send me a private message or reply to this topic, and we can exchange emails and talk about this further. Thank you so much for your time!
Well done! Your work in highlighting the diversity of literature and creating curriculum that includes diverse voices and perspectives is truly important and inspiring.
NickLad

Unread post by NickLad »

surabhik wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 04:31 Hello everyone! My name is Surabhi Khanna, and I am a senior in high school in California. I have had a club at school for the past two years called Coloring Books, where we read short stories written by people of color to make up for the lack of diverse literature being taught in my school. I have always been interested in diversifying the school curriculum, and recently, I have convinced a teacher to teach “The House on Mango Street” by Sandra Cisneros at my school, as the book is approved in the my school district's supplemental literature list. I am also working with another teacher from a private school to create a curriculum for Cisneros’ novel that he will teach to his eighth grade class in the fall. However, I want to make this even bigger, and try my best to make a difference in multiple schools. But, I need help to do that, specifically finding English teachers who will be able to teach this book. (Even if it is not this book that you want to teach, and have a different book by another author of color/different perspective in mind, I would love to help you make that a reality)! Of course, I know that the biggest issue is creating a new unit for teaching a new book, but I am fully prepared to help these teachers as much as possible to come up with a curriculum to teach this book. (And, I already have experience developing a curriculum for this book, as I am doing so in two other schools!) And if it is not possible to do this year, I would love to help you make a curriculum to teach in future years! Additionally, I am fundraising on my own to purchase copies of these books to donate to school libraries, so that is also not an issue. Even if you don't live in California, I can ship you copies of these books to your location! I am extremely dedicated to making this passion of mine succeed, and I will work as extremely hard and help you in all ways that I can. If you have any questions, please send me a private message or reply to this topic, and we can exchange emails and talk about this further. Thank you so much for your time!
As you're actively fundraising to purchase copies of books for school libraries, consider leveraging the convenience of a donate widget on your website. By embedding a donate widget https://claspo.io/templates/use-case/accept-donations/, you can streamline the donation process, allowing donors to contribute easily without navigating to a separate donation page or leaving your platform. This way, you can efficiently collect donations online to support your initiative of donating books to school libraries, making it a seamless experience for both you and your donors.