Teaching salary in China

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

John V55
Top Contributor

Re: Teaching salary in China

Unread post by John V55 »

eggshell wrote: 19 Sep 2023, 08:34 Keep in mind that teaching positions in larger cities often come with higher salaries, but living costs are also higher. To save 2000 euros (approximately 16,000 RMB) per month, you would need to earn a gross monthly income of at least 22,000 to 26,000 RMB, accounting for taxes and other deductions.
I think it also depends on whether you work in the public or private sector. The private sector certainly pays more, but the workload is usually horrendous and salaries often subject to scams.

I worked in the public sector in a state school until 2019 and although the salary wasn’t high, the perks were free accomadation, Health care, WiFi, food, utilities, paid holidays … So there was little to spend your money on.

I was able to easily save £7K ($8.6K) a year, which is quite a lot if you’re also living in Asia. The problem is the vast majority are chasing the money and you won’t find that in TEFL. The hype of ¥50K a month is a fantasy figure. That’s £1,375 ($1,700) a week. In a developing country? With a TEFL certificate? In your dreams! Anything remotely approaching that figure is a guaranteed scam, but people fall for it.

Many also compare the salaries to the west, but forget the cost of living is much lower in Asia. In the range of ¥24K, that will be in a private school and your outgoing living costs will eat a lot of that up.
Personal political satire blog: https://johnvasiateacherblog.forumotion.com
eggshell

Re: Teaching salary in China

Unread post by eggshell »

You're absolutely right; whether you work in the public or private sector greatly impacts the salary, perks, and overall savings potential as an English teacher in China.