how do I find a job as a "non native" English speaker?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Josef Essberger

sexypizza

how do I find a job as a "non native" English speaker?

Unread post by sexypizza »

Hello everyone,

so I'm a recent university graduate, I studied in Australia for 5 years, I have a bachelors degree in literature and a CELTA certification. I grew up with English so its my first language and I have an American accent, however, I was not born in an English speaking country. I was born in the middle east (Kuwait) and its where I currently live.

Despite my qualifications it seems like no one wants to hire me because I'm not a "Native English speaker" despite having the ability to speak, write, and teach English as good as any other "Native".

Frankly this is just blatant racism and its quite disgusting, but I suppose that's just the way things are unfortunately so I'll just have to make peace with it.

what can I do to land a job as an English teacher? I would like to teach in Thailand, Cambodia or Poland preferably but I'm open to other locations. I can probably find a job in my country but I'm not really interested in that, I wanted to become an English teacher with the intention of traveling around the world and not so I can get a job where I live.

are there any recruiting websites that are willing to find a job for me? most of them seem to ask for Native speakers right off the bat and are not willing to compromise.
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: how do I find a job as a "non native" English speaker?

Unread post by Susan »

Hi,

I know it sounds unfair. How about approaching schools directly, either by turning up in person or phoning them. That way, they get to know you before they ask if you're a native speaker.

I once got a job with a school by going to a language conference and walking up to a stand to hand in my CV.

Anything is worth a try if you really want to do this.

Susan
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

Do you want the sympathy tea and biscuits, or the bluntness? :) First, brush up on your written grammar; second, drop the ‘sexy pizza’ titles and third, concentrate on ability and less on the unfairness of life. Outside the west it’s a dog eat dog world – racism is a given, as is ageism.

Try the private schools; Maple Leaf (China), or Sarasas (Thailand) . . . As Susan implies, it’s sometimes more to do with outright nerve and the ability to talk your way into employment than credentials. Don’t just ask for a job, tell ‘em what they’re missing if they lose the opportunity to hire you! ;)
Personal political satire blog: https://johnvasiateacherblog.forumotion.com
Wales

Unread post by Wales »

Susan wrote:Hi,

I know it sounds unfair. How about approaching schools directly, either by turning up in person or phoning them. That way, they get to know you before they ask if you're a native speaker.

I once got a job with a school by going to a language conference and walking up to a stand to hand in my CV.

Anything is worth a try if you really want to do this.

Susan
That sounds like a good idea. It's harder to turn down someone in person like that.