Considering CELTA

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Josef Essberger

pinkorchid

Considering CELTA

Unread post by pinkorchid »

Hello everyone

I am not sure if i am on the right board for this post but here goes.

I am currently working full time in a job i hate. I have been thinking about teaching abroad for a few years, but to be honest, i think i lack the confidence to make the step.

I guess my main concern is doing the course and not being able to find work after i complete it.

I know the job market is terrible at the moment. I think ideally i would like to be first based within Europe and i would love to go to Spain as a starter.

Can anyone tell me if they have been succesful in gaining employment within Europe easily?

Manys Thanks :?
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: Considering CELTA

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there,

Despite the recession there are still plenty of jobs for EFL teachers in Europe. However, to maximise your chances of finding one, you need to (a) apply at the right time and (b) be on the ground in-country.In practice this means choosing a city/region in a particular country and coming over and handing out CVs, ideally in early September (for the academic year jobs). If you miss this window, there's a smaller hiring peak at the beginning of January to replace the teachers who haven't returned after the Xmas break. After that, there's precious little full-time work around till the summer jobs start (late June through to early August). Note that many language schools shut down completely in August so there's no point arriving early to beat the September rush.

The jobs market in Spain is fairly competitive so don't be disheartened if it takes a little while to find a job. You can improve your chances by concentrating on smaller, more rural (and thus less popular) locations or you can do as I did and work in other countries first to get some experience.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Briona