Applying for courses through Cactus Tefl - good idea?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Josef Essberger

Stretch+

Applying for courses through Cactus Tefl - good idea?

Unread post by Stretch+ »

Hello,
I am looking into doing a part time CELTA course in London, and most of the courses I can only find through Cactus Tefl - apart from Saxon Court, who have their own online application. I don't know if going through this third party is just how the application process works, or if I should try to contact the colleges directly. The problem is that there is not enough specific information about the colleges on the Cactus Tefl website to enable me to find their direct contact details online. I read the terms and conditions on the Cactus Tefl, and obviously they need to cover themselves just in case, but there seems to be a lot of emphasis on it not being their responsibility if colleges or courses turn out not to be as described, which I find slightly concerning. If anyone can shed some light on all this I would really appreciate it.
chrisw

Re: Applying for courses through Cactus Tefl - good idea?

Unread post by chrisw »

I believe, and I might be completely wrong, but I think that Cactus TEFL is just a recruitment agency. I think a quick Google search for CELTA in the area you want to go will send you to the schools directly. Try that
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

I'd agree, with the only complicating factor being that it is usually the same price or even cheaper through Cactus. The thing you have to do is:
- Choose the schools you are thinking about on Cactus
- Find out the names of the schools through Google or the Cambridge ESOL "Find a centre" page
- Compare prices
- Book the cheapest way
prague

Unread post by prague »

It is a recruitment agency and they don't list the names. Don't go for the cheapest either. You need to do some research on:

- the qualifications of the trainers
- the kind of support offered before, during and after the course (such as job guidance worldwide, housing assistance, any type of visa assistance)
- you must get in touch with previous graduates to hear if they really recommend the program.

Google the city or country you want to teach in and then the world TEFL or CELTA and then compare the courses.

Good luck,

Cheryl