how does it work?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Josef Essberger

confused

how does it work?

Unread post by confused »

i am an english major about to start my last year. i am really confused about what i want to do after school and have been reading alot of information about teaching in europe. i am really confused and have a few questions to those that have/are doing it
1. how hard is it to get into?
2. what other qualifications do i need?
3. after college i plan to get married to another engish major, can he live with me in another country?
4. what is the pay like (dont have to answer)
5. is it stable? if i lived in a certain country long enough could i become a citizen?
6. if other training is required, what is the best kind, how much does it cost?
7. is it worth it?

i know this sounds like a lot of questions, but i have been doing alot of research and can not seem to get a straight answer to any other these questions.
i would love to live and teach in germany, or denmark, and would GREATLY apprieciate any information anyone could give me.
thank you so very much!!!!!!!
gabriela

Working in Spain

Unread post by gabriela »

Hi. I'm Brazilian and live in Spain. I have a work/residence permit, and to work anywhere in the European community you have to hold either a E.U. passport or get a work permit issued by the country you live in. Mostly of my Americans workmates here in Barcelona don't have a work permit. They worl illegally. Salaries are quite low (around 1,000 euros, between 15-20 euros per hour) but you have no other benefits, such as vacation paid, Christmas bonus, bla bla. Most schools in Spain look for native speaker teachers, so it wouldn't be too difficult to find a job, even if you are illegal in the country. But some schools do ask for papers, a BA in Languages and some kind of TESOL certificate. Good Luck¡
confused

Unread post by confused »

thank you for the information. i would definatly want to work legally anywhere, doing otherwise in my opinion is just asking for trouble. why do most of the americans work illegally if i may ask, if it is rather easy to find a job as a native speaker? seems like it would be much better to just go through the approiprate channels.
bnleez

Working in Mexico

Unread post by bnleez »

I don't know about working in Europe, but I'm an American teaching English in a university in Mexico and I love it! If you're interested in teaching in Mexico, I recommend finding a school first and usually they can help you get with the paperwork needed to get a work visa. You'll have to contact the immigration office in the city you want to work or the Mexican consolate in the city where you live.