Teaching in the UK

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Josef Essberger

Simpson

Teaching in the UK

Unread post by Simpson »

I am thinking very seriously about taking teching EFL. I have to stay in the UK, though for a couple of years at least. Iwould like to speak to someone who lives and teaches in the UK. I have a number of questions to ask. How many teachers are there? How many in the UK at any time? How many jobs are there available? Where are they? I don't want to do a course, pass, then find myself in a position where there are no jobs to get!

Anybody know any UK based (even if only temporarily) teachers who would be willing to chat to me?

Cheers
malcolm

Teaching in the UK

Unread post by malcolm »

What I know about teaching in the UK is that it is very seasonal. In the summer there's loads of work when people come from other countries to combine a holiday and study. You'll start seeing in the Guardian on Tuesdays loads of ads for this sort of work.

Getting a year round job is a different matter. Schools usually ask for someone with years of experience. Many EFL teachers who have worked abroad for years long to come back and settle. With that much experience they get first choice. It may be different in London where there are more foreignersand so more people learning English.

This is my experience. Other people might have something else to say.
Simpson

Unread post by Simpson »

Thanks for that Malcolm. I have heard about a school being proposed somewhere outside of London, but it's not open yet. A freind will keep me informed. Apparently they will be looking for a number of teachers with varied experience. Have to wait and see, I guess.