Introduction to the new season of TEFL in China

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Josef Essberger

EL0807

Introduction to the new season of TEFL in China

Unread post by EL0807 »

First time to TEFL.net, just would like to share a bit of my viewpoints as a TEFL teacher now in China. Just finished my first 10-month contract at Hangzhou with Zhejiang University Helen Group. The new term of Chinese schools starts on Feb, so just doing the renewal of my contract. Anyone interested in the new season, should have apply and prepare your documents ASAP.

Few suggestions and tips for those candidates applying for TEFL jobs in China, which I get asked by most of my friends who want to work in China:

1. WHAT IS THE AGE LIMIT?
The age range to teach English in China is between 21 and 60 years old.
If you are over 60 and have extensive teaching experience, the Chinese government may accept you. However, you will be required to conduct a Health Examination in your own country before applying for a visa.

2. WHAT IS THE NATIONALITY REQUIREMENT? (May be the biggest issue, most candidates lost the chance because of the nationality limit)
Native speakers are most welcomed by schools around China. According to the standard of SAFEA, passport holders from UK, USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are recognized as native speakers. Candidates who speak native-like English including native speakers from the above mentioned five nations as well as people from Europe sometimes are acceptable. (non-native speakers will also need to obtain a SAFEA approved TEFL Course before they apply for teaching job in China as according to the requirement of the Chinese authorities). However, if you do have Bachelor degree from a university in native-speaking countries, it will be fine.

3. HOW MUCH WILL I GET PAID?
It must be remembered that the cost of living in China is very low compared to Western countries. The basic salary, depending on teaching experience and locations in China ranges from 5,000RMB to 8,000RMB. Last year I've been working at Hangzhou Maiyuqiao elementary schools and they paid me 8,500RMB per month with free accommodation. I would say, kind a fair as I still have insurance back in my own country.

Overall, last year was a very interesting year. My students are quite discipline, Helen Group is kinda helpful, I was also contacting with my agent in UK as well. Both my agent and Chinatefl Network, Helen Group are co-operative. Looking forward to the new year. Btw, Hangzhou is definitely an amazing city! Just some thoughts at the moment, feel free to discuss and you can always PM me.
Bruce_W

Re: Introduction to the new season of TEFL in China

Unread post by Bruce_W »

Hi, EL0807, I am also working at Shenzhen with Zhejiang University Helen Chinatefl Network Co., Ltd, which city do you work on? We are having a new year party at the end of this month, so if you are interested in you may contact me lol. Or add me on WeChat!
EL0807

Unread post by EL0807 »

Hi Bruce, thats brilliant. I am currently working at Hangzhou, I will PM you. Looking forward to organizing a party at Hangzhou as well!!!
Bruce_W

Unread post by Bruce_W »

For the past few years of Christmas and Summer parties, we have established a well-managed regular mingle for everyone teaching here in Shenzhen. The Shenzhen group of foreign teachers, under my direction as coordinator of the teachers, had, I believe, a very entertaining and fun time. Lynn, the representative of Zhejiang University Helen Group, was most helpful in accompanying me for what we needed for the party. The teachers were kind to bring their favorite beverage to the party, and I appreciate their spirit of sharing.
everest

Unread post by everest »

I was working in the Zhejiang university Helen Chinatefl Network as a new teacher from last year Sep.
i was working in Wuhan, dongxihu district. i found teaching children around 9-12 as so much fun which i never discovered before. Unlike the student in my town, i think Chinese primary students are very discipline, they behave really well, when they have a foreigner in the classroom. it was rather interesting than teaching in the middle school.
I am new to China and although it's been a year in China, I am so looking for so opportunity to mingle with other "Laowais" :)))

Bruce, any suggestion for me or do you know who I should contact with in the company, which I mean Helen group?
EL0807

Unread post by EL0807 »

Hi,everest,

Lovely to hear from you. Well I have a contact with John and Richard in the Helen Group. They are pretty good people I think. They do provide some good advices on holding foreigners events and I met them last year Christmas as well.

I think Helen Group they do have this regular event every year so if you are interested in it, you can try to contact them and see who is organizing the stuff in your city.
Murphy
Rising Star

Unread post by Murphy »

SCAM WARNING: You guys may want to know that Hanghou Helen Chen, aka HelenGroup.com, aka China TEFL Network, aka Haida HR, are all blacklisted for years at eslcafe, CTA, CFTU, China Scam Patrol, ESL Teachers Board, ESLBase, ESLWatch.info and probably a few more places as well. My former GF got burned by that bunch in 2012. Buyer beware and check around before you sign anything with them. https://www.scam.com/showthread.php?704 ... ost1944232
Volunteer
Rising Star

Unread post by Volunteer »

FRAUD ALERT:

4 of the posters in this thread including the OP, Bruce, and Everest are all shills for The Helen Group!

WARNING TO ALL: The above OP was clearly written as a plug for ChinaTEFLNetwork.com which is one of the alias companies used by the blacklisted and shady recruiter Helen Chen who has been exposed by eslcafe, CFTU, CTA,and featured many times at scam.com an don Reddit. (See below linlks) Aside from that the OP offers information that is absolutely false. A TEFL certificate is NOT a mandatory requirement for a teacher to work in China. Although a genuine 120 hour TEFL course would help any teacher become more proficient,the Chinese government does not require you to have a TEFL certificate http://opnlttr.com/letter/big-tefl-cert ... hers-every. Any information that comes from the above user, HElen Group, ChinaTEFLNetwork.com, or HAIDA HR should be suspect. The reasons are below at these links since this group is not registered with SAFEA and they are NOT as they claim - "part of the Ministry of Education" nor "Part of Zhejiang Universiity". China Scam Patrol authored a 3page report of their operation back in 2015.

https://www.scam.com/showthread.php?704 ... ost1944232

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=85692

To obtain the true and genuine 2017 China Teacher Requirements visit Safea.gov.cn or ht tp://www.chinaforeignteachersunion.com or contact your own embassy or the closest Chineseembassy or consulate to your home.
Volunteer
Rising Star

Unread post by Volunteer »