I'm having serious doubt about going to a TEFL facility in China

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Josef Essberger

wickrick76

I'm having serious doubt about going to a TEFL facility in China

Unread post by wickrick76 »

I'm a British citizen who has recently got a BA and MA in English, and have applied for a teaching position at a Chinese TEFL facility - the organization is called Big Ben International. I don't have much teaching experience, but they said they will train me when I'm out there. I had one Skype interview and they gave me the job quite quickly. They want me to apply for a business type F or M visa, though the contract that they sent doesn't officially get signed until I'm over there. Additionally there was a long delay to get the invitation letter sent to me, and said letter was also not properly completed to be accepted by the Chinese embassy - I'm currently waiting for it to be resent. I'm now having serious doubts about going, especially after reading an article about illegal practices with foreign English teachers in China. The guy I've been communicating with out there is British himself, and seems like a nice guy. The facility is pretty new so I imagine it's still not quite smoothly run, but I just don't know what to do. Should I still go for it, or should I play it safe and apply for something else that seems more legit? I don't want to head all the way out there and find that I've got myself into something I may seriously regret, because I didn't properly look into it.
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: I'm having serious doubt about going to a TEFL facility in China

Unread post by Briona »

wickrick76 wrote:They want me to apply for a business type F or M visa, though the contract that they sent doesn't officially get signed until I'm over there.
The first thing you should know is that it's illegal to work on anything other than a Z Visa (work visa). Neither the F nor the M Visa allow the holder to work. The F Visa is for exchanges, visas, study tours and other non-business activities while the M Visa is for commercial and trade activities. If caught working illegally, it will be you and not the employer that pays the price. That's not a risk I'd be willing to take.
wickrick76 wrote:Additionally there was a long delay to get the invitation letter sent to me, and said letter was also not properly completed to be accepted by the Chinese embassy - I'm currently waiting for it to be resent.
Given that they're applying for the wrong visa, it's not surprising that the letter was/would be declined.
wickrick76 wrote:I'm now having serious doubts about going, especially after reading an article about illegal practices with foreign English teachers in China.
wickrick76 wrote:...but I just don't know what to do. Should I still go for it, or should I play it safe and apply for something else that seems more legit? I don't want to head all the way out there and find that I've got myself into something I may seriously regret, because I didn't properly look into it.
Someone once said to me "where there's doubt, there's no doubt", and for the murky world of TEFL this definitely rings true. If you're having doubts, never mind serious ones, don't go. There are literally thousands of other jobs out there from more reputable employers who will organise an actual work visa for you.
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
Saturn
Rising Star

Re: I'm having serious doubt about going to a TEFL facility in China

Unread post by Saturn »

Hi Briona. I know your feelings well. Was there a few years back. I recommend that you use a whitelist and blacklist check of any employer in China you even think about using.

Here are 3 sites you can check out China employers in the education field:

https://www.scam.com/showthread.php?704 ... -BLACKLIST

http://chinascamwatch.org

http://www.chinaforeignteachersunion.com

Good luck!