Job Interview with Lesson and Scheme of Work. Help!

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Josef Essberger

margyf
Rising Star

Job Interview with Lesson and Scheme of Work. Help!

Unread post by margyf »

Hi Lucy,

I hope you're well, and looking forward to Christmas.

I was hoping you could help. I have just completed my CELTA, just in the process of applying for suitable work.

I have been fortunate enough to be offered an interview. I am just completely stuck and lost for ideas. As you can see, they've asked for quite a few things to be covered in a one hour lesson. Please could you help?

They've also asked for a Scheme of Work. I've never done one! Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Below the interview criteria:

Interview Preparation

Micro Teach:
Candidates are asked to plan a 1 hour lesson for a group of Pre-Entry, post-16 learners. These learners are studying a 1 year Cambridge Speaking and Listening stand-alone qualification, but they also have strong literacy needs so that they may progress next academic year. The topic for the lesson is Jobs, Courses, Education and Training. Candidates must provide a lesson plan for the full hour, but deliver for 10-15 minutes.

Interview:
This will consist of a presentation of a scheme of work that the candidate has previously developed. The candidate will be asked to talk through the scheme of work for 10 minutes, giving a rationale as to their development and planning process. Following this, we will commence questioning.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards,

Margyf

Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Lesson and Scheme of work. Help!

Unread post by Lucy »

Hello Margyf,

It’s good to hear from you again. Congratulations on completing your CELTA.

Here are some ideas.

Micro teach:
I suggest you take a course book that is written for students preparing the Cambridge exam. Use listening and speaking activities from the book and incorporate a short writing task or give writing work for homework.

Here are some ideas for structuring a listening lesson.

Presentation of a scheme of work:
I imagine what they are getting at here is planning a series of lessons. I don’t think they are asking you to prepare a full syllabus. If you choose to follow my suggestion, then during the interview, you can explain how you have interpreted the question.

Ideas can be found in this post I answered earlier on how to plan a series of lessons; I suggest you take activities from course books and don’t try to invent your own (too much work and they will never be as good as what you find in EFL books!).

Best of luck for the interview

Lucy