TEFL classes

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

aprilhenderson

TEFL classes

Unread post by aprilhenderson »

Could someone please tell me the best TEFL course to take? There are so many and I'm nervous to spend money that I've saved to take the classes and then it turn out to be a scam. Is this really the best way? Who would be the best person to talk to about it to be sure I'm doing precisely what i need to do to be fully accredited to teach English in foreign countries? Does anyone have any horror stories or success stories about their experience with the process? Please respond! Thankyou!
Lucas
Rising Star

Re: TEFL classes

Unread post by Lucas »

If you are willing to spend approximately $2,000, take an on-site Trinity or CELTA course. In Canada, TESL Canada is the norm and it's also highly recognized throughout the world. You can take this one on-site or online and if you take the course online you also need to complete a 20-hour practicum. Also, if you are taking distance learning or online, an ACTDEC UK Level 2 (or more) plus the practicum is recognized by the British Council (So is TESL Canada). Take a course that is recognized by any of the above organizations and you won't need to take any other course.

Online, you can get good courses for US$250-$400. Make sure that the course you choose covers lesson planning, grammar, and phonology. These are good for entry level jobs (many schools require a minimum of 100-hour certification).

We offer the Trinity CertTESOL and TESL Canada on-site courses in Toronto, Canada
www.study-at-coventry.com and online TESL Canada and ACTDEC UK courses www.ontesol.com
Ontesol - Online TESOL/TEFL courses. http://www.ontesol.com
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL classes

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

I'd suggest taking a look at http://teflcoursereview.com which has reviews of courses made by former students and is completely independent. (Our online TEFL certificate is very highly rated there.)

The CELTA course is perhaps the best, but my advice would be not to take it unless you have a couple of years experience at least. It's very intense! Instead, you could take an entry level course like the ICAL TEFL Cert and start work immediately to get some experience teaching.