online degree?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

wilch

online degree?

Unread post by wilch »

hi folks.

I need a little advice and I am running out of time before the new term!

I'm very keen to teach English abroad, preferably South Korea but I don't have a degree.
I'm considering studying towards an online degree (AKA distance learning degree) but I'm unsure of how this qualification is viewed in other countries. Has anyone else got their qualification this way? I'm in the UK BTW.

Is it possible to secure a job with only a TEFL certificate? The benefit of an online degree is that I can start studying while working full-time, then if I manage to get a TEFL position, I can continue the degree in the country that hires me.

Alternatively, if my chances of a teaching position without a degree are too limited, I could just study at a regular institute

any thoughts on this? thank you
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: online degree?

Unread post by systematic »

wilch wrote:hi folks.

I need a little advice and I am running out of time before the new term!
I'm very keen to teach English abroad, preferably South Korea but I don't have a degree.
I'm considering studying towards an online degree (AKA distance learning degree) but I'm unsure of how this qualification is viewed in other countries. Has anyone else got their qualification this way? I'm in the UK BTW.
Is it possible to secure a job with only a TEFL certificate? The benefit of an online degree is that I can start studying while working full-time, then if I manage to get a TEFL position, I can continue the degree in the country that hires me.
Alternatively, if my chances of a teaching position without a degree are too limited, I could just study at a regular institute
- any thoughts on this? thank you
My immediate thought is that you could do a lot worse than read up on the many discussions on this board that cover your questions - it's the most hotly discussed topic. In short, you will find that is not easy to get good employment (of the kind that will compensate your investment in a TESOL certification of any kind), without a proper university degree. Without a degree, employment will be limited to either illegal work, or poorly paid work, or very poor working and living conditions, or any combination of these, and you will be exposing yourself to scams that promise ways of working around these qualification issues.
To get a job teaching English abroad, the degree comes first, the TESOL qualification can often be picked up while you are already working and when you get one, you can start looking around for an even better job.
Tails

Unread post by Tails »

Hi Wilch, I'm also new here and looking for info about work in Korea, but i'm in a slightly different position having already gained a degree.

Whilst systematic will know far more in relation to TEFL than myself, I will say that my parents friends have recently completed Open University degrees and raved about how good they are. I think the OU are an organisation who have only recently caught up with the times, but have done so well. So perhaps look at that. Going to uni in the UK is great fun though and you will meet foreign students who may be able to give you more info on their respective country.

Systematic could you link me to any good info you have on teaching in Korea or Asia as a whole. I have read an article on "15 things to know about Koreans" which explains a great deal about my Korean friends haha!
systematic
Top Contributor

I've been based in Thailand for many years now, and apart from needing to travel regularly for my work to India, Laos, Cambodia, and Singapore, I don't really know much about the prospects for native speaker teachers there. None are needed in Singapore obviously, while there are some native British teachers who work in the British Council in Delhi. Alex has a far broader actual teaching experience, covering countries such as Japan, Taiwan, and Korea etc.

In south east Asia, Thailand is of course the best bet. It's not really a developing country any more - it's more modern than some member countries of the European Union!
Swerve

Unread post by Swerve »

I would think so long as your Degree didn't read "online" on the certificate and you didn't receive it through a "Diploma Mill" you would get by just fine. MANY legitimate brick and mortar institutions offer online degrees and there are also completely online ones that are well accredited. I know that in Taiwan you can teach legally with an Associates Degree + TEFL certificate, which could be the quicker route to take until you get your full BS/BA.
harrison

Unread post by harrison »

I totally know where you're coming from. I don't think I'd ever really enroll in a place like http://www.onlineeducationdegrees.com/just because it just doesn't sound as credible....but like what Swerve said, there are some pretty great accredited online schools that are totally fine to get your degree in. I mean, it will obviously look better on your resume if you had your http://www.teflcertificate.com/ TEFL Certificate AND a degree...but it's not essential. But if you're just dying to have that security of a degree for whatever reason (better pay, more opportunities), it'll be worth getting your degree. And yeah, there are campus schools near you that also offer online classes as well, so they're not that looked down upon. Good luck!
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

Specifically in Korea, you must have studied for your degree in an English-speaking country to get a visa. That would certainly exclude all online schools based elsewhere (or indeed nowhere). I have a feeling no online degrees count, but if not they would have to be ones offered through a proper university in an English speaking country, if such a thing exists.
systematic
Top Contributor

Thailand also requires a degree for visa and work permit but can be from anywhere, but only from fully accredited and recognised universities. Beware of degree mills - they will quickly be found out.