I've narrowed it down to 3 courses. Please help!

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

RuthLoftus

I've narrowed it down to 3 courses. Please help!

Unread post by RuthLoftus »

Dear All!
How did I not manage to find this forum earlier?
I really want to purchase an online TEFL course today. I will soon be in transit from Copenhagen- UK- Hong Kong, and I am aiming to work hard and complete a teaching qualification before arriving in HK in early October so an online course is the only realistic option at this stage (I have some teaching experience as a BC language assistant and a classroom assistant).
I have spent the last 1-2 weeks scouring the internet for courses and I think I have 3 good options. Please help me chose one!!

INTESOL 100 hour online cert TESOL - £195
This is accredited as being at NQF Levels 3 by Ascentis BUT is 100 hours enough for a good teaching job in HK?

LTTC Certificate in TEFL 120 HOURS - £285
This Course leads to an EDI Level 4 Award Certificate BUT read some worrying comments about teachers and delays for diplomas.

INTESOL 150 hour online cert TESOL - £395
This is accredited as being at NQF Level 4 by Ascentis BUT it does seem pretty expensive.

Really looking forward to your responses.
Thanks in advance,
Ruth
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: I've narrowed it down to 3 courses. Please help!

Unread post by systematic »

Although the prices appear to be very high (remember that there is no real substitute for an attendance course ), you sem to have narrowed it down pretty well. Do check out what other posters say about them on this site - use the search box to find out more, then make your final choice. Before you sign up for LTTC, send them a polite email asking if they have surmounted their problems with administrative delays and poor communications, telling them that you will probably take their course if they have, and can guarantee prompt attention to the delivery of the certificate. The course itself is actually OK - I have copy of it.

Intesol enjoys a good reputation and is accredited for the operation it conducts in the UK.
chocolate

Re: I've narrowed it down to 3 courses. Please help!

Unread post by chocolate »

I took Intesol in May/June and am still awaiting my cert. I took it onsite, my teacher never graded it and it has been sent to another tutor, who, while helpful, has graded about half. I would not pay the extra expecting to receive your cert right away. Good luck.