Criminal Records checks

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

questioner23

Criminal Records checks

Unread post by questioner23 »

I'm about to start a tefl course, but in my research I'm finding that a lot of countries/courses request a criminal records check. Do they all request such things? I'm worried because I was stupid when I was 18 and got quite a serious charge put against me (didn't go to court, no prison, I just accepted the caution and went away). I'm 30 now and haven't committed a crime since, and have even been teaching at a UK university for five years while I've been finishing my PhD. I have a strong suspicion that this charge will get me denied entry to a country, but how do I know? I was looking at working with adults, in a university environment, much as I do now. I've not spoken of this criminal charge since it happened and I hate that it may destroy my career before it's begun. I've tried searching for a guide to such things but to no avail. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Criminal Records checks

Unread post by systematic »

If all you got was a slap on the wrist, it won't be recorded anyway. But you'll soon find out when you apply for a criminal clearance certificate from your home country.

All you need to know where to apply for one is here:
http://www.nittayo.org/police_certificate.html
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
larryparadine

Unread post by larryparadine »

Depending on the country you're in, you may need to provide a notarised translation. If your police clearance is for England and Wales (the Scottish version is much simpler and clearer), there will be a disclaimer at the bottom of the page which reads: "This is not a certificate of good character." Be very careful to ensure that the translation accurately reflects this meaning. Last year some idiots at a translation agency in the town where I live translated this into Russian in the sense of "This is not a certificate of non-criminality", thereby negating the whole sense of the document. Not surprisingly the government ministry that required the document refused to acept it. I speak Russian and suggested a more appropriate translation to the agency, but they refused to use my amendment. Eventually I found a Russian language internet site with a forum where this particular problem had been discussed and a form of words (almost identical to my proposed version) acceptable to the ministry propounded. I went to the ministry with a printout from the site and got their agreement to accept that version, then went back to the translation agency and told them the bureaucrats wanted them to re-translate using the words on the printout. Eventually all was sorted out, but a lot of time was wasted due to incompetent translators.
JOANNTANNER

Unread post by JOANNTANNER »

The background checks that agencies do are all the same, federal or local. They look at what's called NCIC, the National Crime Information Center.

Note from Admin 25.04.2010
It should be noted that this poster must be referring to the USA only (but not untypically assuming that the information applies to the whole world).

A commercial link, together with the poster, has been deleted.
systematic
Top Contributor

larryparadine wrote: Be very careful to ensure that the translation accurately reflects this meaning. Last year some idiots at a translation agency in the town where I live translated this into Russian in the sense of .../... a lot of time was wasted due to incompetent translators.
I know it's off topic here, but since you brought the matter up, I will take this opportunity to warn others about your experience. Since the explosion in the number of service providers since translating agencies moved their operation to be based on the facilities of rapid communication provided by the Internet, there has been a significant drop in the quality for the kind of translation you required. Serious translation projects for major texts are sent to the professionals, while one liners, such as visa applications, university degrees, driving licences, marriage certificates, and trans-gender declarations, are sent to students who are working for a very low fee.
caveat emptor
paddydogg

Unread post by paddydogg »

Only certain types of crime are kept on records, terrorism, sex, crimes, murder etc. You weren't even convicted if you had no court date, so I would not imagine you even have a record. I believe if you had of had a conviction it'll appear on checks until 7 years after the end of your conviction. After this period the record will only show on certain checks where you maybe working with vulnerable adults or children. Try googling teaching with a conviction the government had sites with info on them. From what you've said though you have nothing to worry about. Only convictions are kept on record and you can't get a conviction without going to court.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Criminal Records checks - translations

Getting quality translations at an affordable price has become a real headache. We recently tested an applicant who wanted to join our professional translating agency and discovered that the translations from English to Thai (the applicant's mother tongue) had been done with Google Translate.
jellyroll

Unread post by jellyroll »

In my understanding only crimes that you are successfully prosecuted for go on any criminal record.
Bluey

Unread post by Bluey »

Do you mind me asking what you were cautioned for?

All warnings, cautions and convictions are recorded on the Police Database and do not get erased. If a conviction is 'spent' when applying for jobs in the UK, you do not have to declare it. However, if you request an Enhanced CRB check, then it will show up.

If it a Standard CRB check then it will not show up.
Bluey

Unread post by Bluey »

paddydogg wrote:Only certain types of crime are kept on records, terrorism, sex, crimes, murder etc. You weren't even convicted if you had no court date, so I would not imagine you even have a record. I believe if you had of had a conviction it'll appear on checks until 7 years after the end of your conviction. After this period the record will only show on certain checks where you maybe working with vulnerable adults or children. Try googling teaching with a conviction the government had sites with info on them. From what you've said though you have nothing to worry about. Only convictions are kept on record and you can't get a conviction without going to court.
All cautions are recorded on the Police Database and do not get erased after a certain period of time, therefore the poster will have a 'criminal record'. There has been a lot of debate over the issue. It will certainly rule the poster out of working in certain countries as they will more than likely request and Enhanced CRB certificate.

Edit: Just seen the date of the original post! :D
MichaelH

Unread post by MichaelH »

I am also concerned about this issue. I have several spent minor convictions for non-violent protest activity - things at the level of Obstructing the Highway. I think the highest penalty was a £50 fine. This has never been a problem for me in the UK, even when I have had enhanced disclosure. I've volunteered with children and with adults with learning disabilities. Employers often find my protest background a positive and interesting thing.

However, I'm not sure this would be the case abroad. Does anyone have any information about this? At the moment I'm considering trying to train and work in Cambodia or Vietnam, or possibly China or Taiwan. Is there any chance I will be able to explain myself? Or will they simply exclude anyone with any kind of conviction?

Thanks for your help, Michael.
MichaelH

Unread post by MichaelH »

For your information, I have contacted the London embassies of Cambodia and Vietnam. I've had a reply from the Vietnamese embassy. They didn't say much but I get the impression it's not a big deal. Same from a friend who's teaching in Taiwan.
conar_123

Unread post by conar_123 »

MichaelH wrote:I am also concerned about this issue. I have several spent minor convictions for non-violent protest activity - things at the level of Obstructing the Highway. I think the highest penalty was a £50 fine. This has never been a problem for me in the UK, even when I have had enhanced disclosure. I've volunteered with children and with adults with learning disabilities. Employers often find my protest background a positive and interesting thing.

However, I'm not sure this would be the case abroad. Does anyone have any information about this? At the moment I'm considering trying to train and work in Cambodia or Vietnam, or possibly China or Taiwan. Is there any chance I will be able to explain myself? Or will they simply exclude anyone with any kind of conviction?

Bluey wrote:
paddydogg wrote:Only certain types ofSealing Arrest Recordsare kept on records, terrorism, sex, crimes, murder etc. You weren't even convicted if you had no court date, so I would not imagine you even have a record. I believe if you had of had a conviction it'll appear on checks until 7 years after the end of your conviction. After this period the record will only show on certain checks where you maybe working with vulnerable adults or children. Try googling teaching with a conviction the government had sites with info on them. From what you've said though you have nothing to worry about. Only convictions are kept on record and you can't get a conviction without going to court.
All cautions are recorded on the Police Database and do not get erased after a certain period of time, therefore the poster will have a 'criminal record'. There has been a lot of debate over the issue. It will certainly rule the poster out of working in certain countries as they will more than likely request and Enhanced CRB certificate.

Edit: Just seen the date of the original post! :D
MichaelH wrote:I am also concerned about this issue. I have several spent minor convictions for non-violent protest activity - things at the level of Obstructing the Highway. I think the highest penalty was a £50 fine. This has never been a problem for me in the UK, even when I have had enhanced disclosure. I've volunteered with children and with adults with learning disabilities. Employers often find my protest background a positive and interesting thing.

yes ..this is a big issue and everybody is concerned about it because only convictions for non-violent are kept in record and thye law is same for all,It doesn't vary according to the people.
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

Just noticed this. Yes, any offence will exclude you in Asia, even drunk driving. Most offences in the UK have an expiry date. Apply for a standard CRB check (now the Disclosure and Barring Service - DBS) and they shouldn’t come up, if you have any. Conar_123 is correct, it is no use trying to explain and foreign recruiters are not interested in severity or explanations. I’m not saying it’s impossible to get a job with a record, but the majority reputable recruiters won’t touch you.