Is TEFL suitable for a couple?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

MickeyP

Is TEFL suitable for a couple?

Unread post by MickeyP »

Hi

My girlfriend and I are looking to teach English as a way of travelling the world. I was wondering how practical this would be to do as a couple? Are there particular countries where this would be a problem, or perhaps easier? Obviously we don't mind teaching in different schools but we would want to live together.
We want to travel widely but particularly keen on the Far East.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Yours

MickeyP
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: Is TEFL suitable for a couple?

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

As a couple it's fine. Lots of couples do it.

My only comment would be to try and avoid teaching in the same school. If you have problems with the boss or the pay is late, you'll both be in difficulties but if you work in different schools at least one of you will be ok! :)
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Is TEFL suitable for a couple?

Unread post by systematic »

ICAL_Pete wrote:As a couple it's fine. Lots of couples do it. My only comment would be to try and avoid teaching in the same school.
Good points Pete.
However, avoid the Catholic schools if you are not married. In developing or emerging nations, religious traditions are far more highly respected than they are in Western countries. In the Catholic schools in Thailand, which cater for the majority of the independent sector, for example, there is zero tolerance for unmarried couples living together, and even for single teachers that are heard to have shacked up with a live-in girlfriend.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.