Using Spy Cameras and Hidden Microphones to Manage Teachers

Discussion for anyone involved in admin

Moderator: Joe

koreawow

Using Spy Cameras and Hidden Microphones to Manage Teachers

Unread post by koreawow »

I am curious how managers in this forum view the use of hidden surveillance cameras and microphones to manage their teachers.

What are the advantages? Disadvantages? Is this ethical?

I see that there are managers here from many different parts of the world, so I am very interested to hear what people have to say on this topic.

Thanks!
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Using Spy Cameras and Hidden Microphones to Manage Teachers

Unread post by systematic »

I have used CCTV extensively in classrooms for recording or relay live to a computer. This is used for training purposes and continuous development.

- for personal and peer evaluation of teaching
- for distance teacher training

No recording or monitoring is carried out with out a teachers knowledge. The teachers are so busy that they soon forget that they are on live transmission or being recorded, which gives an accurate demonstration of their performance.

Teachers are very keen to see how they perform in class and many have later taken part in voice over discussions in which they freely discuss their own strengths and weaknesses.

Observation is a standard procedure in teaching and whether it is remote by video or by the personal presence of an inspector, there are two basic forms:

- the teacher is aware of it or is informed in advance
- the teacher is unaware or not warned of an impromptu visit

IMHO, if a teacher is informed and aware that he/she may at any time be under video surveillance, or that an inspector can arrive unannounced, it is his/her choice to accept that employment. A trained and consciencious teacher is not intimidated by observation, whatever form it takes. If video surveillance is introducedas a new feature during the employment it will affect more than one individual. Collective bargaining will regulate its use.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
learn_spanish_mexico

Unread post by learn_spanish_mexico »

I think having spy cameras and hdden mic's in a room gives the teachers the impression that you do not trust them, and it will negatively affect the moral of the school and the relationship between the manegment and the teachers. If a teacher is good, or bad, it does not take very long for that to be apparent. You can also catch most of the bad teachers by having them do a test class in front of other teachers. A good teacher can spot a bad teacher a mile away.
systematic
Top Contributor

learn_spanish_mexico wrote:I think having spy cameras and hdden mic's in a room gives the teachers the impression that you do not trust them.
The point I was making was based on the use of CCTV for instructional and training purposes. Its use as a hidden or unknown spy in the classroom is obviously unconstitutional. There are however, sadly, a great many teachers who cannot be trusted and one has to wait until something goes seriously wrong before anything can be done about it. A degree and a TESOL are not certificates of character.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
learn_spanish_mexico

Unread post by learn_spanish_mexico »

Systematic, I apologize for the confusion, my reply was directed at the first poster, not at you. I definitely acknowledge that CCTV can be used with great benefit for instructional and learning purposes. But the original poster mentioned using secret hidden cameras (without the teachers knowledge) to monitor the teachers classes, to me that sounds too much like a police state/big brother mentality, and if news of these hidden cameras ever got out to the teachers you could loose your entire workforce.

As for the hidden cameras in the classroom being unconstitutional, that is true, but unfortunately outside of the U.S. that does not stand for much.

Que tengan un buen día.
systematic
Top Contributor

Learn Spanish Mexico,
I concur with you on all points. The use of "spy in the classroom" equipment needs to be covered from all angles.
Last edited by systematic on 07 Oct 2008, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
MarcusGohar

Unread post by MarcusGohar »

Any observation of classes should be overt not covert unless there are real safety concerns about a teacher or student. Furthermore, there should be a system in place to weed out any staff members who have history of being a danger to others. In the UK, it is illegal to employ anyone without a clean Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), which checks Police records. This is not the case in every country, but I believe it is still the responsibility of the schools to check teachers before employing them. Overt recording can be very useful for training purposes but if it is standard procedure every lesson, I would see it as a message that the management don't trust their teachers. Is this healthy?
Wendy1969
Rising Star

Unread post by Wendy1969 »

MarcusGohar wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 06:13 Any observation of classes should be overt not covert unless there are real safety concerns about a teacher or student. Furthermore, there should be a system in place to weed out any staff members who have history of being a danger to others. In the UK, it is illegal to employ anyone without a clean Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), which checks Police records. This is not the case in every country, but I believe it is still the responsibility of the schools to check teachers before employing them. Overt recording can be very useful for training purposes but if it is standard procedure every lesson, I would see it as a message that the management don't trust their teachers. Is this healthy?
Agree with you. I think teachers as well as students should also be informed in advance if there is any recording is to take place in their class. One also needs the teachers and students consent. It is also about trust and respect for every individuals. A professional organisation first and foremost needs to create a professional and safe environment for teachers as well as learners.