Help and advice needed please!

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

Gold

Re: Help and advice needed please!

Unread post by Gold »

I think creating a website is ok, a friend of mine is currently working on an educational website. Have a look at https://aseiclass.com
22englishsam

Unread post by 22englishsam »

I think if this is your first time teaching English online, I would reccomend using one of the online platforms first (such as Cambly). If you don't have a lot of experience it might be hard to attract students as an independent online teacher. With these platforms you don't have control over your pay rates, but you will save yourself a lot of time marketing, organising and promoting yourself.
Trishw

Unread post by Trishw »

22englishsam - Hi, you mention Cambly but are there any other online platforms one can apply to when one is still learning the ropes having just received their qualifications. Thanking you in advance :)
22englishsam

If you want to teach kids: Cambly kids, VIPKids, Magic Ears, Whales English and Zebra English.

If you want to teach adults: Cambly, English First, Preply, Italki.

All of these sites have different requirements for nationality, hours, qualifications etc. So it's worth googling each one and see which one meets your needs. :D
Trishw

Unread post by Trishw »

Thank you kindly 22englishsam for your guidance, will do my homework and look into the one's you have suggested :) Have a super day further:)
22englishsam

You too - I hope you find the best option for you :)
Theove

Unread post by Theove »

Your friend has a pretty good educational platform! I respect people who create such things. I myself am often engaged in self-education and try to develop myself every day. With the help of edu birdie, I practice writing every day, and I also read a lot of books about copywriting. It is very important to create high-quality platforms for education such as Udemi or Coursera, because you always need to study, even in the most difficult conditions.
Trishw

Unread post by Trishw »

Hi Theove, yes I agree and I did do a copywriting course with Udemy (was disappointed with lack of input on the Facebook page they directed me to) and found loads of interesting material on Coursera regarding the development of the brain, more information about teaching etc. I always say that life is a continuous journey of discovery and learning new things. Have a super day further :)
kellanfarday

Unread post by kellanfarday »

Your friend's educational platform is pretty impressive. Hands down!!!

I think creating your own website is going to be a good starting point. Not only do you have the flexibility, you also have the control, unlike online platforms that are somewhat saturated. But just be wary of the other technical things like design, hosting platform, how you would appear on search engines, and more. Those things do the heavy lifting for you to get seen online.

I had a friend who created her own and so far she's doing great. I think she just invested independently in copywriting (just like everyone mentioned Coursera and Udemy), used a WordPress where she stores her content, and hired an SEO consultant for optimization (if you need the SEO consultant's info it's this https://mikekhorev.com/seo-expert).

So there are a LOT of things running around in the background as she created her own website. I hope this helps you in making the decision.
Trishw

Unread post by Trishw »

Thanks kellanfarday, any input regarding improving and moving forward is most appreciated in these stormy waters we find ourselves wading in. Take care and thanks again for your advice :)
kellanfarday

Hey Trishw, I think a great start is to investing or at least do a little market research and figure out what will be your educational website's niche because you'll be able to identify your target audience. When you tailor information for them, you'll more likely to understand and find what they're looking for which will help you create the foundation of your website.

Be sure that your site focuses on one particular subject matter from the very start, rather than getting stuck trying to create a bunch of diverse pages or content. You will get confused as well as frustrated leading yourself astray down an endless rabbit hole.

So always stay true to the core idea of what you are trying to do in order that potential users are guided by something concrete when navigating through all of the pages on your website. Hopefully, it becomes clear why investing in marketing research is crucial.
Trishw

Unread post by Trishw »

Hi Kellenfarday, you are AWESOME thank you for your assistance and guidance, truly appreciated!! I most definitely will follow your advice -thank you:)
kellanfarday

Awweee appreciate it. Glad I was able to help.