First Time Teaching Business English. Need Advice

Discussion on teaching Business English

Moderator: Joe

Jetsu

First Time Teaching Business English. Need Advice

Unread post by Jetsu »

I'm living in Eastern Europe right now. I was approached by a company that wants me to teach roughly 15-20 of their employees English. A few are at an intermediate level, but most speak only at a basic level. I've got about a week or so to prepare, but I'll be teaching them for about an hour a day, 2 days a week, for the next three months.

After I had met with the company owner I told him it sounded like what they wanted was Business English (mostly they're concerned about going to industry conferences and doing business with foreign companies that aren't necessarily British or American but don't speak their language).

My job right now is teaching a class at an English language university, so this would just be a side job for me. I don't have a TEFL cert and my background is in business. I've never had a pedagogy class before and it's been a while since I took an English class myself. I'm reading all the free TEFL resources I can get my hands on, but I'm sure that there is going to be plenty that I won't be able to just read about. Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm mostly concerned about how I should even start this off; I don't have a good idea for where to start creating a syllabus, partly since most of what I've found is geared toward kids. Also I'm a bit nervous about teaching students who legitimately won't understand half of what I'm saying.

So far we're planning on doing a three-month trial run to see how it goes, but I'd really like to be able to make this a second job as well as see if this is something I could do in general on the side besides my university job.
Jetsu

Re: First Time Teaching Business English. Need Advice

Unread post by Jetsu »

Jetsu wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 00:59 I'm living in Eastern Europe right now. I was approached by a company that wants me to teach roughly 15-20 of their employees English. A few are at an intermediate level, but most speak only at a basic level. I've got about a week or so to prepare, but I'll be teaching them for about an hour a day, 2 days a week, for the next three months.

After I had met with the company owner I told him it sounded like what they wanted was Business English (mostly they're concerned about going to industry conferences and doing business with foreign companies that aren't necessarily British or American but don't speak their language) mobdro kodi.

My job right now is teaching a class at an English language university, so this would just be a side job for me. I don't have a TEFL cert and my background is in business. I've never had a pedagogy class before and it's been a while since I took an English class myself. I'm reading all the free TEFL resources I can get my hands on, but I'm sure that there is going to be plenty that I won't be able to just read about. Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm mostly concerned about how I should even start this off; I don't have a good idea for where to start creating a syllabus, partly since most of what I've found is geared toward kids. Also I'm a bit nervous about teaching students who legitimately won't understand half of what I'm saying.

So far we're planning on doing a three-month trial run to see how it goes, but I'd really like to be able to make this a second job as well as see if this is something I could do in general on the side besides my university job.
I got this,..
oneota
Rising Star

Unread post by oneota »

Run, don't walk, to the nearest bookstore and buy Market Leader. Get both the textbook and the workbook. Have your students do the same. It's not perfect, but it is good. Also, look at Linguahouse, which has a lot of both free and for-pay lesson plans in business English, but I don't think they have a full curriculum.
MTE1369

Unread post by MTE1369 »

EASTERN or CENTRAl Europe? Just asking
Regan@O2C

Unread post by Regan@O2C »

Honestly this question comes up a lot and I have good news for you. You can use Off2Class to access business related lessons for free. Also if you need student comprehensions levels you can track those. However, this material could be useful for future planning. This is the lesson that requires no account and if you do make an account to access more Business English Lessons, no payment is required which I think is great!

https://www.off2class.com/lesson-plan-downloads/teaching-business-english-advertising/