am I too old?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Renier8

am I too old?

Unread post by Renier8 »

Hi.
I am a guy, 46 years old. I work from home and I was thinking of the tefl even if just for experience and to supplement my income. I do realise that the real opportunities are for youngsters ready to travel. I could travel if there was a good opportunity, but for the most part I would probably teach online. Is there scope for this?
Are there any other "older" people like me that still teach?

Thank you for your input
Joe
Admin

Re: am I too old

Unread post by Joe »

There are lots of people over 46 teaching English as a foreign language all over the world, both offline and on. Some countries make it more difficult to get employed after 50 or 60, but it's far from impossible.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Renier8

Unread post by Renier8 »

Thank you very much. I will pursue this further then
Firefox

Unread post by Firefox »

Pardon me while I roll on the floor laughing :lol: I got my first teaching job (in a language school in Asia) when I was 50. And if teaching online, your age is even less relevant. Also, don't forget that not all countries are as ageist as we are in the West.

On the other hand, many native English speakers think they can teach English just because they speak it. It's increasingly difficult to get work on that basis today, and having a good TEFL certificate up your sleeve also prepares you personally to teach better and feel less stressed.

If you're into online, check out:
Introduction to Teaching Online
Renier8

Unread post by Renier8 »

And thank you kindly for that as well.
MiaWilliams

Unread post by MiaWilliams »

I'd like to add on here what others have written that while you may sometimes come across a school with an age policy, it is the exception rather than the norm. More mature teachers bring experience to the table and are less likely to go swanning off and breaking a teaching contract. And yes, teaching online has no age limits.

Mia.
https://trustedteflreviews.com/
Which TEFL? Helping you choose your best online TEFL/TESOL certification course.
Renier8

Unread post by Renier8 »

Thank you for all the input.
appreciated.
MiaWilliams

Unread post by MiaWilliams »

You are welcome! :)
https://trustedteflreviews.com/
Which TEFL? Helping you choose your best online TEFL/TESOL certification course.
Ms. Clara

Unread post by Ms. Clara »

That's the great thing about TEFL, there is no age limit! Many of my past and present colleagues are 50+ and fantastic teachers, loved by their students and enjoying their work. You are NOT too old. I say go for it with gusto :)
Renier8

Unread post by Renier8 »

Thank you for the kind reply.
I will begin the course in a week or two.
DAP

Unread post by DAP »

I am 58 and in my second year
Thoroughly enjoying it.
Teaching line and in a voluntary capacity face to face for local refugees.
Go for it!
Renier8

Unread post by Renier8 »

Cool - thank you for the reply
Romeo

Unread post by Romeo »

These days, its all about life experience., the more life experience you have.. the better!! Yes, being young and free is still a bonus, but if I was a student today and serious about learning English, I would prefer an older teacher. As well, don't be fooled, lots of schools hirer older teachers.
“Let's be part of the solution… not the problem”
Renier8

Unread post by Renier8 »

Thank you for your input.
diane

Re: am I too old?

Unread post by diane »

Hi
I was wondering the exact same thing. I am 57 and have been teaching for 20+ years. I am retiring with my husband to Greece over the next few weeks and have completed my TEFL qualification. My idea is to do some online teaching because I love the job and I feel too young to "do nothing". I have taught English previously but not in this format. My question is; is TEFL teaching online easy to adapt to? Any information/experiences will be appreciated.
Waylon

Unread post by Waylon »

normally at this age,you are young enough to teach overseas,such as China,if you are older than 60,that's too old to teach in China or even online.Usually the university teacher or adult trainer will still be able to teach at that age.So you are just 40s,that wont be a problem at all.
pasqual

Unread post by pasqual »

There are lots of options for the "mature" teacher. Good article here.. https://www.tefl.com/blog/article.html? ... id=1108084
HomebasedTch

Unread post by HomebasedTch »

It's never late to teach,the order you are the more knowledgeable you are,what you have to do is to find the right fit,you may not teach young kids but adult or teenagers would be great.
English is the bridge to connect the world,the internet has made the world a global village,Teacher Record is using English and internet to help teachers and schools find each other and work together to make a better global village.Online schools&Domestic schools are available.For further information,please visit https://www.teacherrecord.com/job
COLIN
Rising Star

Unread post by COLIN »

Well, I am 60. But I feel that I am in my sweet 20s. I am very active and can run a mile alongside a youth of 18, and win. Some people do not seem to respect my vigor and lucidity, much more my life experience. And this is the sole reason why they do not accept my job applications. Maybe their youth has blinded their insight not to acknowledge merit where it is deserved. If only they would put me to the trial to see exactly what I am capable of doing.
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

COLIN wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 15:39 Well, I am 60. But I feel that I am in my sweet 20s. I am very active and can run a mile alongside a youth of 18, and win. Some people do not seem to respect my vigor and lucidity, much more my life experience. And this is the sole reason why they do not accept my job applications. Maybe their youth has blinded their insight not to acknowledge merit where it is deserved. If only they would put me to the trial to see exactly what I am capable of doing.
Maybe should be illegal to ask for age? Agist?
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven