TEFL, prospects and advice for prospective teacher graduating this year?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

lrrossi

TEFL, prospects and advice for prospective teacher graduating this year?

Unread post by lrrossi »

Hi,

I'm 21 and a native English speaker, having lived in the UK my whole life. I'm graduating university this year, and I'm considering teaching English as a profession. Despite currently studying for a bachelors degree in business technology, teaching English abroad seems interesting and gives me the opportunity to relocate on a stable wage and experience something new, in a new culture.

South Korea is the most attractive option for me currently, with a stable wage and well documented career progression in the first 3 years, after gaining initial experience.

I'm seeking some advice on the TEFL qualification. If I'm graduating this year, should I start an online course now, in the middle on my final semester, or in the summer after finishing my degree? And what TEFL qualification would be valuable for employers? Of course, some graduate placements only require a degree, but I am concerned about my ability to do the job well without a TEFL qualification, do you guys on the forum recommend having it?

I'm also interested to hear any stories on career paths you guys have taken, from teaching English abroad, perhaps having been in a similar situation to me. I'm asking because I'm unsure about future prospects, perhaps back in the UK and I'm also unsure about the career prospects teaching English in South Korea and other locations in Asia, past the initial 3 years.

Finally, can you guys recommend any good TEFL programs in South Korea or other locations in Asia. I've researched online, but have yet to come across any definitive recruiters, and so any good experiences you guys have had with TEFL recruiters and any recommendations you have would be great too.

Thanks!
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL, prospects and advice for prospective teacher graduating this year?

Unread post by Susan »

Hi Irossi

If you want to make a career out of teaching, I suggest the CELTA or Trinity certificate, not an online course.

Susan
lrrossi

Re: TEFL, prospects and advice for prospective teacher graduating this year?

Unread post by lrrossi »

Susan wrote:Hi Irossi

If you want to make a career out of teaching, I suggest the CELTA or Trinity certificate, not an online course.

Susan
Thanks, I'll research further into them options!