my student is forgetful

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

rutherford

my student is forgetful

Unread post by rutherford »

I have a student learning how to read. I have worked so hard to teach him the basic sounds of English. Inspite of my emphasis, he forgets them easily. What do i do?
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: my student is forgetful

Unread post by Susan »

You just have to do lots of revision. Some people take a long time to learn.
rutherford

Unread post by rutherford »

Thanks Susan. I guess that's what i have to do.
Lola212
Rising Star

Unread post by Lola212 »

Your student may be more than forgetful. He may have a learning disability. Maybe for now you can make him a "Cheat Sheet". Something to keep nearby. Maybe with a picture next to the sound to remind him/her. Something he can have quick access to while reading. Thank you for teaching.
allard02

Unread post by allard02 »

as a professor in engineering i come across forgetful students all the time i would suggest you to write them down all the important things you want them to remember
tebluefox

Unread post by tebluefox »

There are some people have problems in studying and it will take so much time to teach them.
When I was a student, there are some math structures I just cannot understand or remember, even I wrote it 100 times as a punishment of teacher :D While I can answer other question fluently.
push him too much may lead to opposite effect, everything will be okay :)
Awalls86
Rising Star

Unread post by Awalls86 »

Regular practice is key. Is he studying the sounds daily? This would help. Give him not just the sounds but a word to say to link it too. Finally, he doesn't have to do all the sounds in one go... break it down into fewer sounds if it helps.
johnandrew

Unread post by johnandrew »

I can actually feel that pain of yours. Some months back I was helping a student with some basic and he too has this habit of forgetting, he actually forgets things he was taking too much interest. I was not able to make this situation 100% better, but I actually overcome this by using some different ways such as using games, toys and puzzles.
John Andrew
Russian Teacher at London Language Studio
footballmad

Unread post by footballmad »

Hi there. I'm not sure how folk can offer solutions without knowing why your student is forgetful. Can you enlighten us a little more about him / her ?
You say you have worked so hard teaching......but what about the student ? What is his/ her contribution to the learning ?
Eric Rom

Unread post by Eric Rom »

Well, Is the student forgetful or dyslexic? If it's dyslexia, then there's some work to be done.
If forgetful, then there's making them write the topic down every time they forget it, and revise it before starting the next topic.
I generally try to associate a topic with some current fun events (like Pokemon) so that they can remember it better.