The 9 month prologue

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

William93

The 9 month prologue

Unread post by William93 »

Hi guys!

My name is William and I'm 22 with a BA in Politics from a university in the UK and a CELTA Pass from International House London from this December. I have both US and UK (and therefore EU) citizenship. I live in London and am looking to start teaching in January 2017 once I get my financial house in order. My goal is to teach in Spain since I'd like to re-learn the language but I am flexible as long as I'm in Europe.

I have no experience teaching so my question is what steps can I take to give myself the best shot at finding a good job. I have 9 months and 10-15 hours a week outside work to dedicate to this.

Any advice on how to set myself up for success in Spain would be really really appreciated since I'm finding this new TEFL World a little overwhelming.

Many thanks,

William
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: The 9 month prologue

Unread post by Susan »

Read TEFL books. Reread your course work. Volunteer to teach English, e.g. to refugees, your local church.

Susan
canadian

Unread post by canadian »

Hi William,

I am in the process of choosing a CELTA training centre, and International House of London, which you mentioned,
is on my short list.

Could you please tell me a little bit of your experience there, how the teachers were, if the classroom teaching was quite intensive and varied on a day-to-day basis, if you felt engaged by the teacher, etc.

Thank you!
William93

Unread post by William93 »

Thanks Susan! I've tried looking for volunteering opportunities in London but have so far been unsuccessful, do you have any advice regarding finding initial unpaid experience in London outside work hours.

As for IH London, I did the part time course as I needed to work while studying to pay for London! I'd first say that there are probably cheaper IH locations in cheaper cities and if you know where you'd like to teach, consider studying in that area ie Bangkok, Barcelona, Prague ect. I did the course with no experience of teaching but was "up against" (studying with) people who had many years experience in the field so I struggled compared to them, especially in the beginning. Its a very very intense and stressful course where you are taught one turn-key teaching method. The tutors are very strict and will punish you for straying from the prescribed format even if your method is equally effective. My main tutor was named Martin and was excellent. It is certainly a high quality institution and worthy of the reputation. There is very little in the way of "after care" in terms of helping to find a job.
Overall i would recommend it but would say you can probably get the same quality teaching at a much more affordable price in the part of the world you would like to teach. I live in London so the course made sense for me and if it makes sense to you I doubt you'll be disappointed.

William
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

Hi.

You could place an ad somewhere that will be seen by lots of non-native speakers: newspaper, website, gathering place.

Susan
Lola212
Rising Star

Unread post by Lola212 »

Very nice recommendations.
JessieB

Unread post by JessieB »

If you want to get experience teaching but need to stay in London for now you could start by teaching online. There are sites for teaching online in Vietnam, China, and a few other countries. TeachAroundTheWorld.net has several listed; in the city search box search "online" to get a list of them. It would be good starter experience to put on your resume, and you'd actually get paid.