They don't do homework...

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Awalls86
Rising Star

Re: They don't do homework...

Unread post by Awalls86 »

I hate to discourage anybody, but never met a teacher without this problem.
I would try to find out why... perhaps get them to write their excuses in French.
You could offer a reward if they all do it (a 5 minute video at the end of each lesson).
Just some ideas.
Alpr86

Unread post by Alpr86 »

I would just like to ask if you had talked about it to your students? If yes, what is that? I always try to talk as a friend to find it out.

Good luck!
Awalls86
Rising Star

Unread post by Awalls86 »

I saw an english lesson on a blog somewhere (can't remember where so can't credit it - sorry) where the teacher had them write all their excuses and then did some correction exercise using the written sentences. Some were just absurd... the typical "My dog ate my homework" to "I was abducted by aliens."

We always have to be mindful of what other demands our students have on their time, so suggesting fun homework activities e.g. watching english movies or some interesting reading may have a better take up rate.
Mike9998nz

Unread post by Mike9998nz »

Isn't that the Bart Simpson excuse about the dog?
footballmad

Unread post by footballmad »

Just checking - is the homework you give them really integrated (ie as an integral part of their lessons / course ) ? Also, is the homework part of some activity the next day ? eg prepare to give a short talk on your favourite....... or maybe a couple/small group of students could prepare something together, with one of them as group leader. Just an idea.
As a mature student of a European language myself too, I can tell you that gap fills, for example, rapidly become very boring !
Lola212
Rising Star

Unread post by Lola212 »

If a student has to hand in their homework, what about returning the homework with a sticker on it. We all love stickers. Watch how quickly the "They don't do homework..." students all of the sudden start bringing in something. Then you can go further and look for completion, etc.