CELTA for Teaching Children

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

claire22

CELTA for Teaching Children

Unread post by claire22 »

I'm just wondering if I would need a CELTA to teach young children in Europe? I understand the CELTA course is primarily geared towards teaching adults so do you think I should still study for this to teach young children?
I am a UK Citizen, currently studying an Honours degree in Childhood and Youth Studies and I have a few years experience with young children (ages 0-7).

I know the majority of schools around the world look for the CELTA qualification and I obviously want to give myself the best chance to find a good job teaching English. I know CELTA have an add on course for teaching young learners (which will be unavailable after December 2016).

In your opinion, do you think it would be better for me to do the main CELTA course and then the add on YL CELTA course or a generic TEFL course, with the view of teaching young children (preferably ages 4-9)?
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: CELTA for Teaching Children

Unread post by Lucy »

It depends what type of school you want to work in. With your training, EFL schools are not the only option. There are many primary schools for the children of expats or BFPO. they follow the same curriculum as UK primary schools and often ask for a PGCE. Conditions and pay are usually better than EFL schools.

For EFL, there's no hard and fast rule. Schools can ask for a whole range of que and accept all levels of experience. The more demanding ones pay better. Check out ads for these, including the TES and the Guardian.

Lucy