what to teach in a 12h intensive course

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

rpsavoie

what to teach in a 12h intensive course

Unread post by rpsavoie »

Hi everybody,

I'm new here. I'm a non native EFL teacher and so far I have taught in secondary schools and some private tuition too. I'm used to teaching a long term syllabus (at least a school term) and in August I'm asked to help a student (17 years old) with only a 12 h intensive course (2 weeks) in English before he starts school. He is supposed to have B1 level but according to my experience, students who need help with their English generally don't even have A2 level.

12 hours is such a short course. I don't really know what to teach as a priority. I guess I'll have to focus on grammar rather than others skills. Such is very often the case with private tuition.
Can you help me and give some advice, please ?

Thanks a lot
spiderjutt

Re: what to teach in a 12h intensive course

Unread post by spiderjutt »

students who need help with their English generally don't even have A2 level.

Re: what to teach in a 12h intensive course

Unread post by Awalls86 »

Focus on what the student needs... get them to do a needs assessment before hand. It doesn't have to be purely grammar. If they are only doing 12 hours over 2 weeks also, then get them to do a lot of extra stuff to immerse them in language too like watching films or reading when they are not learning with you.
I disagree that only students who are A1 or A2 need help... it is just that the help they need changes.