TEFL training and employment over 50?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

scooter_boy

TEFL training and employment over 50?

Unread post by scooter_boy »

I'm very new to all this, having graduated over 20 years ago and taught at higher education for 3 years i embarked on a long nursing career. Over the past 2 years or so ill health forced me to resign and I have been unable to find work since, now 50, my prospects look bleak and I am considering TEFL and perhaps working in Asia or indeed anywhere. The internet is a-wash with courses, on line, distance learning etc and I have found the whole this very confusing. I dont want to complete a course that has no value , or is not recognised abroad. Can anyone help please? Perhaps point me in the right direction, I also wish to teach adults but again, I find most internet sites etc only offer school age placements.

Thanks
Joe
Admin

Re: TEFL training and employment over 50?

Unread post by Joe »

Scooter, have you tried our faqs on training and courses and jobs?

Teacher Training FAQ
TEFL Courses FAQ
TEFL Jobs FAQ

These try to answer many of your questions in detail.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
jamy123

Unread post by jamy123 »

I'm very new to all this, having graduated over 20 years ago and taught at higher education for 3 years i embarked on a long nursing career. Over the past 2 years or so ill health forced me to resign and I have been unable to find work since, now 50, my prospects look bleak and I am considering TEFL and perhaps working in Asia or indeed anywhere. The internet is a-wash with courses, on line, distance learning etc and I have found the whole this very confusing. I

Unread post by Richardavie »

Have you considered teaching in Barcelona? I work for TEFL Iberia and our oldest student to date was 67. He was a Californian retiree looking to have a European adventure and he was able to pick up some business classes and private classes.