grammar point quandary

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

UnoDosTres

grammar point quandary

Unread post by UnoDosTres »

Hi Lucy! I'd really appreciate some advice.

I have to do a demo class for a job this week and I want to teach modal verbs for deduction in the present and the past, at Upper Intermediate level. Someone better qualified than me suggested this is two grammar points and that I should stick to one, but it seems to be taught this way at this level in various text books.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Best!
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: grammar point quandary

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi,

My first reaction is: why are you teaching a grammar point about which you are unsure when your job depends on it? Is there any way you can change the grammar point you're teaching? I suggest you teach something you know about.

An upper-intermediate class would be able to deal with modals for deduction in the present and the past; for many languages, this concept translates directly. If you have to teach that, I don't think it will be difficult if the class really is upper-intermediate.

I suggest you find out more and come back here if you want more info.

All the best,

Lucy
UnoDosTres

Re: grammar point quandary

Unread post by UnoDosTres »

Thanks so much for your reply Lucy.

Just to clarify, I will be teaching the lesson to the interview panel as if they were students, not to an actual class.

My issue is that the lesson must be language focused and at a UI level whereas I have mainly taught lower level students or very advanced students. I have taught the occasional UI class and this is one of the areas I have looked at and the lesson went pretty well. I was just concerned as my colleague suggested maybe it was more of a functions class than a grammar class.

Thanks for the reassurance re present and past often being taught together. I thought this was the case!

Best

CM