ESL assessment

Discussion re test preparation

Moderator: Joe

mreniers

ESL assessment

Unread post by mreniers »

I am in need of an assessment tool for ESL students in California. I have heard of CASAS and BEST, but would appreciate any suggestions on an effective assessment to determine skill level. Thanks!
Maggie Reniers
ESL Teacher
Sun Pacific School on Wheels
jasminade
Rising Star

Unread post by jasminade »

I use the Oxford Placement Test. You can buy the two versions from Oxford University Press include guidelines and marking materials.

The second version is useful for use at then end of the course to show the Students that they have improved.

It covers all levels.

Hope this helps.
richalmers

Re: ESL assessment

Unread post by richalmers »

I created a multimedia assessment for my own online students. It does not log scores, but gives a very good indication of the students level and tests most areas, except listening.

It might be what you are looking for, so I include a direct link: http://www.linguaspectrum.com/leveltest ... /index.htm

This is a very extensive test and can take a long time to complete. If you have an idea of your student's level, you can start them at that part of the test. When the student can no longer answer most of the questions correctly, you will have a reasonable assessment of their ability.

I hope this helps.
DavidB

Re: ESL assessment

Unread post by DavidB »

Have you thought about creating your own assessment?
I find the best placement tests are those that are targeted to the needs of your school. This includes the levels and textbooks you use. For example, if you only have three levels, there is no need for a detailed placement exam.

I would create your own placement exam that targets all the skills you teach at your school.