How do I choose authentic material?

Discussion re test preparation

Moderator: Joe

Sparinoid

How do I choose authentic material?

Unread post by Sparinoid »

Hi everyone,

I've just received the first draft for the 3rd and final assignment of my course and I am really struggling. It got sent back to me as I chose the wrong authentic material. The task is for upper-intermediate students but the one I selected was too easy for them but I can't tell which one will be too easy or too hard.

I don't want to make the same mistake again as it's meant restarting the whole task again, essentially from scratch.

Does anyone know any possible suggestions of where to look?

Thank you very much
kdammers
Rising Star

Re: How do I choose authentic material?

Unread post by kdammers »

You can use a "crutch": Go to a legitimate site that has authentic material that is labeled or sorted as to level. For example, Search domain learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/skills/reading/upper-intermediate-b2https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/skills/reading/upper-intermediate-b2 .
Harry F.

Unread post by Harry F. »

Choosing appropriate texts and grading your own language to suit your students' needs and level is definitely one of the toughest things about starting out in tefl. I don't know how much this will help, but I have recently been using a great text checker resource from Oxford learner's dictionaries (https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com). They grade the difficulty of a text based on the frequency that words are encountered. The text checker highlights all words at A1, A2, B1, B2 etc. For an upper intermediate text you would not want to see more than a few words at a higher level than B2. This is also a great resource for grading students' written work as it really helps you to zone in on a student's ability to use 'more advanced' language.
ps. I promise I don't work for Oxford university press!
Sparinoid

Unread post by Sparinoid »

Hey again,

That has been really helpful. I looked at other videos and saw what I should be looking for in a video and used the dictionary to determine whether the language was right for the students.

I think I have decided what video I want to use but I'm still uncertain.

Could someone please tell me whether this seems appropriate for upper-intermediate students?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prIaF1w ... el=ITVNews
hcb2022

Unread post by hcb2022 »

Sparinoid, I thought the video you chose was excellent!
ashvaganda

Unread post by ashvaganda »

try working with gpt chat.
BillyH

Unread post by BillyH »

Choosing appropriate authentic materials for language learners can indeed be challenging, but there are several strategies you can employ to ensure you select materials that suit the level and needs of your students. Here are some suggestions:

Level Appropriateness: Look for materials that are at a slightly higher level than your students' current proficiency. Since they are upper-intermediate students, aim for materials that challenge them without being overwhelmingly difficult.

Varied Sources: Explore a variety of authentic materials such as newspaper articles, magazine features, TED talks, podcasts, interviews, or even excerpts from novels or short stories. Different types of materials cater to different learning preferences and provide diverse linguistic challenges.

Preview the Material: Before selecting a material, preview it yourself to gauge its difficulty level. Pay attention to vocabulary, sentence structure, and overall complexity.

Consider Length: Ensure the material is of an appropriate length for the assignment and the time available for students to engage with it. Longer texts may require more time for comprehension and analysis.

Cultural Relevance: Choose materials that are culturally relevant and engaging for your students. Topics that resonate with their interests and experiences are more likely to capture their attention and motivate them to engage with the material.

Authenticity: Authenticity is key, but it doesn't necessarily mean using unedited, real-world materials. Simplified versions or adaptations of authentic materials can still provide linguistic challenges while making comprehension more accessible.

Task Variety: Consider the type of tasks students will complete based on the chosen material. Ensure the material lends itself well to a variety of language skills such as reading comprehension, vocabulary expansion, discussion, writing prompts, etc.

Teacher Networks: Reach out to fellow teachers or online communities for recommendations on authentic materials that have worked well for similar proficiency levels. They may be able to share specific resources or suggest where to find them.

Adaptability: Keep in mind that you may need to adapt the selected material or tasks based on student feedback and performance. Flexibility is key in catering to the needs of diverse learners.

Feedback Loop: After implementing the material, gather feedback from your students regarding its appropriateness and effectiveness. This will help you make more informed decisions in the future.

By considering these factors and being mindful of your students' proficiency level and interests, you can select authentic materials that effectively support their language learning journey.