Dysphasia & Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

For example, teaching blind or deaf learners

Moderator: Joe

jaipmaron

Dysphasia & Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

Unread post by jaipmaron »

Hello everyone!

I am a student at University Laval doing my BA in Teaching English as a Second Language.
Last semester, I did my second internship in an elementary school and I almost had the opportunity to teach a group of children whom are troubled with Dysphasia and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Unfortunately for me, the day we were supposed to have them was the day they had an activity planned. I was disappointed because my preparation was impeccable and I felt really in control of the knowledge I was about to share with the group.

Linked to my near encounter with such a group, I want to know hints, pieces of advice that could be helpful in the future. Thanks!
culture

Re: Dysphasia & Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (AD

Unread post by culture »

I can give you some pieces of advice about ESL teaching children with dysphasia.

First you need to understand their problems. Of course, all children are different, but in general dysphasia is characterized with slow and atypical development of oral understanding and expression. It means that in your classroom children with dysphasia could have problems with language comprehension, expression, metalinguistic skills, abstract thinking and generalizing. The best strategies to use with these students are:

1. Learning in action. It includes role playing, action songs, etc.
2. Opportunities to manipulate materials: project, crafts, cut and glue the part of the sentences in order to understand the structure etc.
3. A lot of repetition
4. Well organized routine of the classroom. Sometimes the minor changes frustrate them or make them feel lost.
5. Always assign the time for each task and remind the minutes left to help them to complete the task in time.
6. Using visual support. Flashcards, photos, pictures, charts, mind maps etc.
7. Be very patient.

Good luck in your teaching!