I need ESL info.

For example, teaching blind or deaf learners

Moderator: Joe

binformed

I need ESL info.

Unread post by binformed »

Hello,

I am a parent but also I am a student in Education. My son just started Kindergarten and I have recieved notification that he was elected for the ESL program. My native language is Spanish but my son does not know how to speak it (unfortuantely). My question is, what are the requirements for being selected into ESL?

My son does have dificulties with some pronunciations with some diagraphs but I would think that that would be in the area of Speech Therapy, not ESL. I need as much information as I could get from anyone here. I have already left them a message requesting information on how he was selected for ESL. They have not called me back. Please help. Thank you.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: I need ESL info.

Unread post by systematic »

Hi,
It would help to know what country you are in, whether the organisation concerned is private or state, and whether your enquiry regards your 'selection' for ESL, or that of your son's. With that information, it may be possible to suggest some recommendations.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
mgrima

Re: I need ESL info.

Unread post by mgrima »

I am not sure what country you are from but I can explain what being elected for ESL means in Canada. Usually students who are elected for an ESL program or any other special program have been selected because the teacher feels that the students can handle the being in an ESL program. More specifically that their grades will not be effected if they are included in the program. Your son is only in kindergarten so I wouldn’t worry about any speech difficulties specifically for the English program since all the children starting in the program should be at the same level and therefore have the same difficulty with English. I would also highly encourage you to have your son participate in the ESL program since English is the international language it will only benefit him to learn it.