Teaching Children vs Teaching Adults!!

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

kalonmarko

Re: Teaching Children vs Teaching Adults!!

Unread post by kalonmarko »

I have been teaching mathematics for more than five years now, I can say that teaching child who is interested in this is just wonderful. I had students whose parents were forced to attend classes, I refused to work with such children because they didn’t need it. But I had a girl who was a member of the https://fosterplus.org charity program, and she wanted to do mathematics, even though she had very little knowledge. But in just a couple of months, she showed very good results. So everything is very individual.
PatrickSt

Unread post by PatrickSt »

I also think that with adults it's better to work. They are more focused and dedicated to the process.
But it also depends on the person and the motivation. Young learners can also be so into the process so that I believe the key is to find the right approach to the student based on age, learning abilities, and so on
Wendy1969
Rising Star

Unread post by Wendy1969 »

I like teaching children but after many unpleasant experience and having to endure too many unpleasant, stressful, oppressive learning environment in some parts of Asia(where Chinese oppressive culture dominate), I decided to take a break after I was unfairly dismissed by the Chinese principal who spoke and write quite poor English! She said some parents complained - about what(?), I don’t know. Come to think of it, I should be the one complaining about their kids. Some of them were very abusive, bad tempered and quarrelsome. Some of them even tell lies and showed outright dislike of me (which is quite uncommon in Chinese culture since many Chinese are known to pretend to like us even though they don’t).

But with the (so-called)rise of China, many Chinese are known to abuse us and display their contempt for us who were even slightly critical of their Chinese/Asian culture.Many of them were very arrogant and looked down on me because I can’t read Chinese(though I can speak a bit of Chinese).

The place was (more like a madhouse) like a after school program for primary school children from a Chinese medium school. Many of them very very rowdy and quite often fighting among themselves. Many of them have no interest to learn English or in any of my instructions. It was like as if I was not important or nonexistent.

It was really hell. On top of that, I was paid pittance, which I initially don’t mind but then I realised it was not worth it after being mistreated by them. They must had thought I was desperate for the pittance they paid me.

Fortunately, I have some savings and my sanity.
ashvaganda

Unread post by ashvaganda »

For me, teaching children is a very difficult process
Wendy1969
Rising Star

ashvaganda wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 12:04 For me, teaching children is a very difficult process
It is easier to teach children who have already have lots of exposure to the sounds of English language.

For younger children, one can focus on developing their listening skills via using videos or podcasts

For older children, one can focus more on developing their speaking skills as well as listening skills via using videos and podcasts.
Wendy1969
Rising Star

PatrickSt wrote: 25 Jun 2023, 12:24 I also think that with adults it's better to work. They are more focused and dedicated to the process.
But it also depends on the person and the motivation. Young learners can also be so into the process so that I believe the key is to find the right approach to the student based on age, learning abilities, and so on
Very true. That being said, I still prefer teaching young learners. There is so much to impart to young learners that one can only hope they continue to place a high priority in learning English language throughout their lives even though it may not be their first language.