How many new words can children learn each lesson?

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

inchina

How many new words can children learn each lesson?

Unread post by inchina »

This has really been bugging me of late. There’s no real science on how many words in a foreign language a kid can learn. I know in a native language, a 6 year old can learn up to 20 new words a day, but we all know learning a foreign language, via flash cards, is totally different. For 3-6 year olds. Based on observing the children progress, I’ve always had a rule of 4-5 new words and 1 sentence every two lessons.

My kindergarten have asked me to teach 23 words and 5 sentences per month to a class of 5-6 year old. They have asked me to teach the content in 3 weeks and then review them in week 4. I told them 9.33 words a week is too much.For context, I teach them 3 times per week, 30 mins per class.
MariaL

Re: How many new words can children learn each lesson?

Unread post by MariaL »

It depends ln the children themselves and also on their age. There is a wide range between a 3 year old who may be struggling with her mother tongue and a clever 6 year old. And it depends whether they want you to teach 23 words or do they want all the kids to learn 23 words...
inchina

Unread post by inchina »

Thanks. They test the children every month, so ideally they want all the children to memorise all words/sentences. I must follow the protocol anyway, which is fine, but I am just curious in general, for my own personal growth :)
Emily Ifsits

Unread post by Emily Ifsits »

Hi,

Wow! If you have managed to teach kindergarten children vocabulary at that rate I want to know your secrets please!

I teacher kindergarten ESL lessons in Austria and have just added a new entry on my blog which shares my Topic Plan for the year. Here I have all of the vocabulary listed that I teach the children in my English Owls kindergarten classes.

Check out my website and blog at www.theearlyenglishclub.com.

I hope that it is useful to you.

Best Wishes,

Emily.