I don't know their language

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

elBow

I don't know their language

Unread post by elBow »

I have recently started volunteering at a local government school on Saturdays. I take 2nd grade at the moment. The problem is that I don't know their mother tongue and they barely understand English. In a class of 30 highly energetic and distracted students, fighting , jumping and basically not listening to a word I say, I am left dejected and burning my vocal chords out. I feel there can be a better way of handling this, but can't find a solution on my own.
1. How to maintain discipline in such a situation?
2. How to engage students in fruitful learning?
3. Links to resources, or things I can make. It's a low resource setting, with no internet connection or systems, english textbooks, colors etc.
Advice on any would help me a lot.
Thanks
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: I don't know their language

Unread post by John V55 »

You shouldn’t have to be shouting. Design lesson plans that fit the age group. Play games like ‘hangman’, dividing the class into groups to add a competitive edge and increase vocabulary. Practice basic introductions to get them to speak, such as hello, how are you, I’m fine thank you and above all, keep them occupied with a subject they can relate to. As you mention fighting and jumping, I’m thinking early teen age group? Try music, mobile phones, food and the basic vocabulary that goes with it. Favourites, adjectives, colours . . .
elBow

Unread post by elBow »

I tried playing hangman. It held their attention for a while and then they became distracted again. I read that we have to change activities very frequently with 7-8 year old.
It's a low resource setting, I don't have mobile phones or a computer.
I know this content needs to be covered. How to cover it is the question, since trying to orally teach them doesn't get their attention.
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

We need to change activities even for teens :)
I don’t do that age group, so I’m afraid I can’t help there. What I think you’d need to do is search around the Internet for that age group activity plans. There are sites that let you download them free. Google, ‘efl young learners lesson plans’. Yes, the object is to keep them occupied; look for the fidgeting, the eyes and swop track or change the subject. Once you get the topic attention, you’re 90% there.
gargdev

Unread post by gargdev »

The problem is with the language inclusion and nothing can be done if the thoughts cannot be understood by either side so you will only be able to help them if you learn their language and that won't work if u make them learn "English". A teacher must be able to grasp the local language so that HE/SHE could understand them. the only solution I can say is to learn their local language otherwise things won't be fruitful.