Classroom management

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

bprainohk

Classroom management

Unread post by bprainohk »

Does anyone have any tips on how to encourage teens to speak English in the class and not constantly translate or refer back to L1? I have been teaching in Asia for around 5 years and often come across this problem with teens especially.

Thanks
nicholasbent

Re: Classroom management

Unread post by nicholasbent »

First of all, teacher should talk in english with students. Also should teach in english language.
Lola212
Rising Star

Unread post by Lola212 »

I agree, that must be a difficult situation that you are experiencing.
CleverTim

Unread post by CleverTim »

nicholasbent wrote:First of all, teacher should talk in english with students. Also should teach in english language.

I agree! but still depends. If you are teaching in the remote areas, you must speak on their native language in order for them to understand.
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

bprainohk wrote:Does anyone have any tips on how to encourage teens to speak English in the class and not constantly translate or refer back to L1? I have been teaching in Asia for around 5 years and often come across this problem with teens especially.

Thanks
I always use English in the classroom. I also use topics which the students would find an interest in. For example, use food, or mobile phones, or music. Start with vocabulary for the subject matter and explain using body language if need be. Speak slowly and clearly. Here are some ideas.
https://www.academia.edu/11730502/ABL_TEFL_SYLLABUS