Teaching Children vs Teaching Adults!!

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

ironmathyu5

Teaching Children vs Teaching Adults!!

Unread post by ironmathyu5 »

I've been teaching English in VietNam for around 6 months now and I have classes both private and public teaching children and adults. Although, I prefer to teach motivated Adults that have a real reason for learning English as opposed to kids that have been forced into an English Class by their parents. There are a few kid students that I love to teach though because they actually want to learn and are genuinely interested in the language. I can't stand the spoiled children that can care less about going to class or cause a disturbance for other classmates. I prefer teaching adults as they are usually more "into it", respectful, actually have a goal in mind and they know what they want to learn in English.. What do you guys think? Do you have a preference of age when teaching English?
kalonmarko

Re: Teaching Children vs Teaching Adults!!

Unread post by kalonmarko »

I have been teaching mathematics for more than five years now, I can say that teaching child who is interested in this is just wonderful. I had students whose parents were forced to attend classes, I refused to work with such children because they didn’t need it. But I had a girl who was a member of the https://fosterplus.org charity program, and she wanted to do mathematics, even though she had very little knowledge. But in just a couple of months, she showed very good results. So everything is very individual.
jackyang

Unread post by jackyang »

ironmathyu5 wrote: 10 May 2020, 16:46 I've been teaching English in VietNam for around 6 months now and I have classes both private and public teaching children and adults. Although, I prefer to teach motivated Adults that have a real reason for learning English as opposed to kids that have been forced into an English Class by their parents. There are a few kid students that I love to teach though because they actually want to learn and are genuinely interested in the language. I can't stand the spoiled children that can care less about going to class or cause a disturbance for other classmates. I prefer teaching adults as they are usually more "into it", respectful, actually have a goal in mind and they know what they want to learn in English.. What do you guys think? Do you have a preference of age when teaching English?
I think, that preference age for start learning english is 8 years!
DenyMoore

Unread post by DenyMoore »

You raised a very interesting topic. I would like to understand what is the difference in teaching children and adults. I suppose that in the discipline of students
DenyMoore

Unread post by DenyMoore »

I thought about it and would like to add that perhaps the difference is still in the complexity of the tutorial. Nevertheless, it is easier for children to absorb new information from scratch than to retrain an adult. Adults use the proposal helper to improve their grades, and children make every effort to cope with tasks on their own. This is my take on the difference.