Teaching British Culture to 3-5 year old Chinese kids

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

beccymai
Registered Member

Teaching British Culture to 3-5 year old Chinese kids

Unread post by beccymai » 22 Nov 2018, 22:21

Sorry this post is a ramble, which is an indication of my struggle! Advice desperately sought please.

This feels strange to admit but I am struggling with how to go about teaching British culture to my class. My issue begins with the Chinese teachers often don't understand what I say or mean (but won't admit it, typical in the culture but that is a whole other story) so I can't rely on their support to explain things in the kid's L1. There is not much in the way of resources available for native speakers in this age bracket on British culture, at least that I have found and I have scoured the internet for many unproductive hours. Obviously parts of the culture such as Christmas is easy, but they already have some idea of this and I think that type of thing is best taught around the time of the festival.

My thinking is to have a couple of sessions telling stories about Robin Hood ( I am from the midlands so a nice tie in) maybe St George and the royal family and finish with a session on food where I make some typical british food to try (as near as I can, getting hold of the right ingredients is another logistical nightmare)

It doesnt feel right but other than that my research has led me to British values as below

What are the British Values as Detailed by Ofsted?
According to Ofsted, the following British Values must be incorporated and demonstrated through EYFS learning and play:

Democracy
The rule of law
Individual liberty
Mutual respect
Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs

and being where I am I think I would get into a lot of trouble teaching point 1,3 and 5!