Teaching 1-1 IELTS online

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

DaveS86

Teaching 1-1 IELTS online

Unread post by DaveS86 »

Hi everyone

I'm a newbie here, so I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum. I'd like some advice on how to teach IELTS online to young adults (the typical IELTS student, obviously). I've spent most of my teaching career so far teaching young children but I'm trying to expand and teach online. I did my CELTA years ago and have also recently done the Cambridge Online IELTS course, but it didn't provide a lot of practical info on how to help students improve and it didn't offer much in terms of activity ideas (especially activities for 1-1 tuition).

Can anyone suggest some good sites or blogs with useful, detailed lesson plans and tried and tested activities, ideally for 1-1 online classes? Naturally I've done a lot of googling already, but since I'm new to this type of teaching, I'm not exactly an expert at what works well and what doesn't. So I thought I'd ask here for advice.

Looking forward to hearing any bits of advice!
kubinski

Re: Teaching 1-1 IELTS online

Unread post by kubinski »

Do you still offer lessons online?
kubinski

Unread post by kubinski »

There are a lot of youtube channels full of information on this subject. However, I think adults process all the info harder, and their memory is slower than children's. You can use associations or different tips for them to memorize everything more accessible. Moreover, you can check these Language Arts resources if you need help with the writing sessions. I have been using them when preparing for the IELTS exam, and I could obtain 9.0 for this part so you can trust it. Moreover, I feel like it's a good source of motivation.
leon99
Rising Star

Unread post by leon99 »

Begin by assessing your students' current English proficiency and identifying their strengths and weaknesses in each IELTS skill area. This will help you tailor your lessons accordingly.