Dealing with reluctant students is challenging

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

hitcher

Dealing with reluctant students is challenging

Unread post by hitcher »

during my lessons i notice that i have some students who like to sit in the back seats, they spend the entire session staring at me . whenever i try to make them alive and active they turn me out ...sometimes i feel them saying '' teacher , just go on , we are not following , we can not catch the train .....
deepshika1

Re: dealing with reluctent students is challenging

Unread post by deepshika1 »

These kind of students are the worst. It's just not possible to teach them efficiently.
The only thing I can suggest is that you give them one or two extra classes so that you can teach them basics and make them understand the basic theories and concepts. Maybe then they will follow what you are trying to explain in the regular classes.
If there were no humor, life would be tragic.
alisonsesol

Unread post by alisonsesol »

That is very tough, and certainly takes a toll on the teacher. I agree that offering an additional class or two to bring them up to speed might be helpful. Also, if you have control over the seating, to move them up to the front. Have you tried to include them in decision making in the class? Like what activity to do next, what topic the next unit will be on, etc? The sense of responsibility may help motivate them.
TheNightBeak
Rising Star

Unread post by TheNightBeak »

If they're not making any effort and are in a minority then why waste your time with them? I tend to tune those sorts of students out.

Talk to them one-to-one if you think it'll help. But work with the eager students and ignore those who have no interest. Don't stress it!
HomebasedTch

Re: Dealing with reluctant students is challenging

Unread post by HomebasedTch »

That's different,if you are going to teach kids,you have to dance,sing and etc.You are not a teacher,you act just like an animal,more specifically you are a monkey
English is the bridge to connect the world,the internet has made the world a global village,Teacher Record is using English and internet to help teachers and schools find each other and work together to make a better global village.Online schools&Domestic schools are available.For further information,please visit https://www.teacherrecord.com/job